Offensive Saab

Troutman

Then: a 1952 Saab is pictured below, the 92 - a highly imaginative little car was fighter jet maker Svenska Aeroplan aktiebolaget (SAAB)'s first production car. Its drag coefficient (cd) is world class even by today's standards at 0.30, and the aeroplane wing inspired styling showed real innovation.

IPB Image

Today, what do I see but a bloody Subaru Impreza with Saab badges stuck on, disgracefully called 9-2x.

IPB Image

And yet, a damn GMC common gas guzzler with a Saab grille stuck on has to take the cake for offensive, disgraceful, sickening insults to cheapen the once great Saab name.

IPB Image

I demand executions for these crimes within the hour.

I concur, a disgrace it is, with Saabs proud history. Badging up some Trailblazer, makes me sick. That car is so totally opposite to the purposeful and innovative designs Saab used to release.

In fact a friend of mine has a 96 quite similar to the one you posted, it's Jaguar MK2 style grill almost the only difference. I've driven it, quite special sound in that twostroke 3banger.

I have never been a fan fan, but I always respected them and could see why people would own them.

the older ones were much better, but I'm getting sick and tired of all this "we build jets" shit. first of all, you don't build no damn f-22, and 2nd, in your own advertising at the bottom of the screen you say "no longer affliatled with saab aero whatever"

And BHR is right about the Jet references a further insult. Good luck to Subaru building a Gripen.

"In 1990 GM purchased half of Saab (and bought the other half ten years later) in what is now seen as an impulse buy. Saab loyalists have long criticised GM's badge engineering of Saab products. This criticism reached a fever-pitch with the introduction of the Subaru Impreza-derived 9-2X (derisively called the "Saabaru" by American critics) and the GMT360 platform (Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, et al.)-derived 9-7X SUV. The 9-2X sold very poorly, with Saab barely managing to sell a few thousand of them. Likewise, the 9-7X SUV has garnered slow sales when compared to competing brands. "

The original Saab motor car from this site.

IPB Image

Beginning with the the 1947 Saab 92001 (pictured at left), Saab cars were the love children of 16 aeronautical engineers, only one of whom had a driving license. In the decades that followed, Saabs were unique by design, inspired by planes rather than autos.

In its latest ad campaign, Saab is returning to its roots, referencing the brand’s aeronautical heritage with Gripen fighters flying over a 2006 model Saab. “Born from Jets,” the new tagline proclaims. Cool tagline, good song ("Ready, Steady, Go” by Paul Oakenfold) in the TV ad, but the concept is a nonstarter. Saab’s pitch has become a travesty of its former self. Saab is no longer an aircraft-cum-auto manifacturer, but a small, fading star in the General Motors universe. The original Saab AB is now an entirely separate aerospace and defense manufacturer.

...Forget about heritage - the current crop of Saabs appear to take their cues from other GM brands with which they share components. The few remnants of Saab styling serve as sad reminders of better times.