The saga begins

Jallan

Bahahahah...........................

It just started. I changed the alternator on the S, and the charge light went off. HOWEVER.............

I now have cel code p0100........MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR :mad: I cleaned it with MAF specific spray and no change. ALSO...............

TCS and TCS OFF lights are on. Engine does the limp mode. Checked the vaccum lines, they are like hard candy, literally shattering when I tried to remove one.

I removed the entire intercooler setup so I can get to the vaccum lines, no prob. will change all lines (one at a time so I don't cross anything) and I will probably look into the ABV solenoid. THEN..............

P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire) took out all the plugs and they are all coated with a thick carbon buildup (probably MAF related richness).

The good news is I'm looking into the twin screws and they are clean, no oil. The intercoolers are clean, with the exception of a very light tan color on the inside surfaces.

So, does anyone have a 2.3 Mass airflow sensor they wish to sell? I would prefer not to go to Mazda, and there are no Millys at the junkyards here. Is the MAF sensor the same on both versions?

Does anyone have any suggestions that I might have missed? I think when I'm done it will still have been a worthwhile purchase, considering how much I paid for it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the MAF sensor is about 150ish, I could have sworn they pop up on ebay sometimes, anyway looks like the whore knew there were some problems with the car, but at that price....Anyway I would certainly changer out hte MAF sensor, vacuum lines, put in some new plugs, and of course change all fluids

Yep, Ren, it's ridiculous at the dealer. I found a reman with a 1 year warranty at partsamerica.com. It's $170 with a $65.00 core. I have a checkers auto by me, which is an authorized dealer. Right now shipping is free. Not too bad, after all.

Not bad, it would be better if you could find someone that was parting one out, but with a year's warranty I guess you're no worse off. Just make sure before you order it that you don't have a tear in the boot leading to/from the maf. Check the electronics of the maf to make sure that it is the problem, this could become one very expensive fix if you just start throwing money at it without certainty.

Got it checked by a friend who has a shop, and the MAF is dead. The boot is fine, no tears or cracks. MTS, the abv solenoid caused you to have the TCS and TCS OFF lights illuminated? I only got a p0100, so I'm not sure if I should change the abv when I change the vacuum lines.

isnt the p0100 code like just a general code?

P0100 is a generic code, meaning all obd II compliant cars use this code (any code that starts with 0 is generic). However, it's defenition is very specific: Mass air flow circuit malfunction. (which doesn't necessarily mean the MAF sensor is bad, but it would be wise to check it)

Obd II was established so vehicle diagnostics could be standardized. Obd I needed a different reader for every make of vehicle. Vehicle manufacturers are allowed to have specific codes for their respective vehicles. (any code that starts with a 1). If you get a good code reader with a PC link capability, it should have the database for all manufacturer-specific codes. It can also read what values are in the ECM, such as temperature, manifold vaccum, idle speed, etc.

The Milly has 7 OBD II monitors on board, they are:

1. Misfire monitor:

The misfire monitor uses changes in crankshaft speed to determine if a misfire occurred, and what cylinder misfired. If the misfire is severe enough to possibly cause catalytic converter damage, the cel will flash once per second until the misfire is no longer sensed.

2. Fuel System monitor:

This uses a correction program inside the ecm. It is a set of positive and negative values that represent adding or subtracting fuel from the engine, up to a certain percent. (compensating for a lean or rich condition) If the correction needed is too large and exceeds the values set in the ecm, a fault will be detected.

3. Comprehensive Component monitor:

The CCM continuously checks all inputs and outputs from sensors, actuators, switches, and anything else that provides a signal to the ecm. It checks for shorts, open circuits, out of range value, functionality, and rationality (rationality is when each input is compared to all other inputs and against information in the ecm to see if it makes sense under the current operating conditions. For example: If the throttle position sensor indicates the vehicle is in a wide open throttle condition, but the vehicle is really at idle, and the idle condition is confirmed by all other sensors, the CCM determines the TPS is not rational (does not make sense when compared to other inputs) and would register a fault)

4. Catalyst monitor:

The catalyst monitor checks the efficiency of the cat by monitoring the O2 sensors before and after it in the exhaust system. If the voltage signal in both O2 sensors are nearly identical, it means the cat is losing its ability to store oxygen and creates a fault.

5. Oxygen Sensor monitor:

Checks if the O2 sensor voltage is weak or missing in closed loop operation (closed loop is the ideal operating condition because the O2 sensors are used to correct air/fuel ratios. Open loop is when the signal from the O2 sensors are not used to correct air/fuel ratios, such as cold starts, heavy load, and wide open throttle)

6. Oxygen Sensor Heater monitor:

The O2 sensor heater helps bring the O2 sensors to operating temperature (600-650 degrees F) so the ecm can enter closed loop operation. This monitor tests the operation of the O2 sensor heater.

7. Exhaust Gas Recirculation monitor:

The EGR monitor performs EGR function tests at preset times during vehicle operation. If it isn't working, guess what.........

Any one of these can fuck up and give you a cel. Some of these are "one trip" and "two trip" monitors, meaning a cel wont come on unless it happens on two seperate occasions, under similar operating conditions.

Loving every minute of it :wacko:

Step 1 is now complete. I have changed all vacuum lines, tees, and all plugs (since I was in there already). Ren was right on the money. 21 feet was perfect. I only went through half a pack of cigarettes, though :shifty: The MAF should be here next week, until then I will just leave it be......................:shifty: yeah, right.

Bahahahah...........................

It just started. I changed the alternator on the S, and the charge light went off. HOWEVER.............

I now have cel code p0100........MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR :mad: I cleaned it with MAF specific spray and no change. ALSO...............

TCS and TCS OFF lights are on. Engine does the limp mode. Checked the vaccum lines, they are like hard candy, literally shattering when I tried to remove one.

I removed the entire intercooler setup so I can get to the vaccum lines, no prob. will change all lines (one at a time so I don't cross anything) and I will probably look into the ABV solenoid. THEN..............

P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire) took out all the plugs and they are all coated with a thick carbon buildup (probably MAF related richness).

The good news is I'm looking into the twin screws and they are clean, no oil. The intercoolers are clean, with the exception of a very light tan color on the inside surfaces.

So, does anyone have a 2.3 Mass airflow sensor they wish to sell? I would prefer not to go to Mazda, and there are no Millys at the junkyards here. Is the MAF sensor the same on both versions?

Does anyone have any suggestions that I might have missed? I think when I'm done it will still have been a worthwhile purchase, considering how much I paid for it.

Your maf sensor code maybe sent from a clogged cat. Thats why your car feels like in limp mode. Im not saying this is your 100% problem. But i ran into situations like this before. Clogged cats throws a maf sensor code and your car feels like it has no power. You can floor it and it wont go over a certian speed and a bad cat might have been caused buy the engine misfiring unburnt gases sitting in the cat cat overworks itself. Just keep that in mind bro if you maf sensor doesnt fix the problem good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion, Super S. I changed the MAF and the P0100 is gone :thumbup1: Now the engine can rev all the way up but it sounds like its running on 5 cylinders. cel throws a P0325 (knock sensor) and a P0300 (general misfire) The exhaust gas coming from the back smells like unburned fuel. My guess is one of the coil packs are not firing. The P0325 says front bank knock sensor, where is that located? I changed all of the spark plugs already, and was going to check the coil packs while I was in there, but decided to put it back together to see how much the situation improved with the replaced MAF (it did)

So far, I have done the following:

Replace MAF

replace all vacuum lines and tees

replace all plugs

I haven't even reached $1300 yet total for the car and parts, so I'm still doing good. I apologize for not being around, but these last few weeks have been hectic in the tour industry, and I haven't had time to post.