Transmission cooler install

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow there's a lot of confusion surrounding this.

1) The North American Milly doesn't have a dedicated cooler, though it does use the radiator to warm up the fluid when cold, and cool it slightly when hot. At best it's insufficient for such a fat lady.

2) Do not bypass the radiator completely like chi did. Remember it serves two purposes, one of which is to heat the fluid which is important.

3) The North American Milly does have an oil cooler...for engine oil, nothing else. And it is dedicated.

To do the install, is easy and takes less than an hour. Though BHR in your case it'll probably take 4 since it takes 2 just for you to change the oil.

Jack car and remove front splash shield on drivers side. There are two rubber hoses that go from the tranny into the radiator, remove the lower one (this is the return line). Attach a length of hose to the left side of your new small tranny cooler (so the hose/inlet/outlet face up) and place the cooler against the radiator. Push a ziptie through the cooler and radiator while holding with a pair of long needle nose pliers the backing for the ziptie. Do this three more times. Attach hose from cooler to the outlet on the radiator. Now attach another hose to the right side of the cooler, and run it to the transmission. In the end you should have fluid going from the tranny to the radiator, then to the cooler, and finally back to the tranny. I can't remember how much fluid you lose during this process, but I can't imagine it being more than a *Reference banned from MW* can's worth.

You will have to add some extra fluid once finished though since you now have the volume of the cooler on top of what came out during install.

Wow there's a lot of confusion surrounding this.

1) The North American Milly doesn't have a dedicated cooler, though it does use the radiator to warm up the fluid when cold, and cool it slightly when hot. At best it's insufficient for such a fat lady.

Indeed.

Thanks for confirming the excistance of a stock albeit insufficient Milly tranny cooler, this issue has puzzled me quite some time, though I had reason to believe Lat's contribution would be correct for all models.

Ren, thanks for clearing that up, i felt like i may have missed something. I didnt accually bypass the radiator, i just follewed the easy instructions included in my hayden kit and you are right...i remember now that i did install the cooler between the return line, only having done the install once and a while ago just couldnt remember the procedure exactly. :poopfan:

where can one buy said transmission cooler?

Basically anywhere that sells car parts. Also, you don't need a big one unless you plan on getting a trailer hitch and pulling a boat. The smallest cooler will be fine.

Cool Chi, I hoped you didn't completely bypass the radiator..

I bought mine off ebay, but I have seen them in parts store, mine was a hayden and only cost 55 dollars shipped, I just don't like messing with fluids lines alot, the reason I ask about fluid is because I wanted to get this installed right before I take it in to get the tranny flushed. I wasn't sure if this would somehow flush the tranny cooler as well

ya i was thinking the same thing. but now i know that the correct size, i can really start looking. ther is also a shop (japanese engines inc. u mightve seen em on ebay selling mazda motors and trannies including the kj) who is selling a kj transmission for 350. i might jump on that as well a tranny cooler. that way i dont have to worry about rebuilding my old one.

If anything annodize it rather than painting it. Annodizing doesn't change any thermal properties like paint does, and it lasts a lot longer since it's much more durable. Although in all respects, painting would change the heat exchange properties so little neither you or the tranny would notice.

And camel, the one chi posted is the one I installed in the girls milly. Go to a Mr. Transmission and pick one up there, or any tranny shop should carry them.