Transmission cooler install

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, there are an ever growing number of cars that use more of less the stock radiator and some extra lines to cool the transmission cooler, alot of jeeps have this now, and frankly, I think itsd a stupid ass system. I perfer to have a dedictated cooling system. Given that when driven the millenia is driven briskly at best I would strongly perfer an aftermarket cooler. Nothing huge or anything, just something

Oh boy, what a mess... I trust Lat in this. I'll also await mts' response when he's back home regarding the left handside OIL cooler pipes/hoses, he should be able to sort these things out under the hood.

As for Mazda removing important features for longevity of the vehichle, this is certainly NOT how we know Mazda in Europe. Now our cars may have crappy transmissions, but here most Mazdas have a stick and have always, or at least since 1988, been building cars solid enough to be among the best.

Mazda has a very good reputation here also... except for the rebadged Fords.. they are the ones to watch for problems...especially the Tribute and later B Series. The longevity vehicle that is in high regard for being low maintenance and lasts forever is the late 80s early 90s 323.

MTS, I think we agree in this subject :)

However I would like to add the 88-91 626 as well. 300000 km (well, 297000 untill he met a lady driver) on my old mans 89 626 on the same everything except two sets of shocks, one new battery and a bunch of tyres is what I call solid build. Same exhaust, same discs, oh I forgot a couple of pad swaps, same driveaxle boots, you name it. A shame he met that lady, I was going to continue that story... RIP :bye2:

the 626s really depended on the engine and transmission combo... the 3.0L seemed to be more troublesome than the smaller 2.0 4 bannger. Again the B2000 and B2200 were bullet proof engines, and still make great trucks to get, if you can find one... these were the earlier Mazda models... before the Ford genetics.

• 2 weeks later...

i did a hayden tranny install on my old L. very simple...no need to remove the front bumper. steps should be the same for the S.

You should mount the cooler to the radiator (closest to drivers side to save hose) with the zip-tie straps included in the package, use a long needle nose pliers to pull them thru the radiator if you cant do it by hand. Secure them from behind with the locks(if you buy a cooler you will see what i am talking about).

the inlet and outlet of the cooler should be mounted facing the ground. to identify which line is the inlet and outlet of the tranny turn the car on for a minute and see which line is hotter, the hotter line is the outlet and should go first into the cooler. the coolers out then hooks up to the colder line/input of tranny. you may need to buy some xtra hose at the autoparts store because you wont be able to use whats on the car and there was not enough in my hayden kit.

Yes the us milly has a built in tranny fluid cooler in the radiator but it is only a few inches sq. thus the lines exiting the tranny. however it is not the cooler which is on european/australian models which is a true towing cooler and much larger.

Good luck with the install it should take about 30 min. you might want to jack up the front of the car so you have more room to work.