Calling

mts

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My little bro just traded his 93 Geo Metro (3-banger) for an 88 Honda Prelude. And guess what?

It has 4WS.......

California emissions vehicle and all. I was in disbelief so I checked under neath and it is all there :lol: Good luck BHR

I got to drive an 89 Prelude way back in ... 1989 :) Damn sexy car IMO at the time. There were 2 types back then, one was 4WS the other was 4ABS.

I was only learning and it was one of the first cars I had driven. I was taking a nice long corner at just normal speed, when suddenly the back end slid out !!! Actually, it was just the 4WS kicking in for some reason, but damn it spooked me.

So far, the Milly's 4WS has only been felt like that when cornering hard at low speeds, otherwise I don't notice it at all unless I see a reflection in the parking lot.

I wouldn't think that retrofitting it would be too hard, but you may have fun with the electronics of it all - there could be a different computer required and even the wiring loom may be absent.

I would probably recommend against the idea of a retrofit simply based on the observation that many Nissan Skyline people remove the Altessa (?) 4WS system from their cars to allow suspension upgrades to work to their best.

Plus, I don't know how much weight the 4WS would add, but that would reduce fuel consumption a tiny bit too.

If you're keen anyway, I say go for it! If you're intelligent enough then you won't do any damage and the worst you'll be is a bit lighter in the hip pocket and heavier in the spare parts barrell :)

I can try and get under my 800 for photos if you need it - then you can compare with a local MX6 and see if the 4WS might be the same, or how much of the 4WS your millies have anyway.

Cheers! Graham.

Also, since these are factory parts, and according to mts everything is there they would mount to, I see the install being much easier then some other things I'v done, biggest challange is getting the parts, and as mts said, a full donor car would be best

Piston rings are factory parts, and the pistons are there to mount to, by your mentality those should be easy to replace too.

interchangable yes.

Graham, that was something mts and I had discussed and couldn't come up with an answer on was the ECU, I figure a US spec car will be slightly different for emissions and different gas grades, but it may or may not have the mapping to control the 4WS, it probably takes its own ECM which then plugs into the ECU, the question is how and if.

Here is an example how expensive the 4WS system was here in Norway. The 1988 626 16V 148 hp (later 140 hp with cat) 5 door hatch had the system. That model was actually just about the same price as the 626 V6 released 4 years later. I used to have a 626 5-door, hence my knowledge.

Actually those 626 as well as following generations had passive 4WS. So had the 929 929/ Luce 1987 onwards (totally different layout though). And of course the Xedos ( at least so I read somewhere). I guess the 323's same era had the system too, as the rear suspension is quite similar. It is all obtained by different bush hardness in the lower transverse arms. Cheap and effective solution. The 626 I used to have was a good roadcar though too soft both in suspension and bushes to really push hard through bends. The 5-door would suffer from too poor chassis rigidity as well because of lack of reinforcement between rear struts. The estate had reinforced floorpan and was less prone to flex.

I surely am a Mazda addict remembering this :rolleyes:

The 4WS is also supposedly making it aquard to back say straight into a driveway, often ending up where you didn't mean to. I should also guess it makes it more challenging to back with a trailer but I have never driven one myself. The manual does infact warn about such problems with 4WS, mainly to avoid hitting something with the rear side while parking in tight spaces.

The manual does warn you to turn later than normal - in reality, it's not much different.

A 4WS prelude I drove, and even my old Daihatsu with passive rear wheel steering (suspension geometry and bushes) you could occasionally feel the back sliding out. It wasn't actually sliding, just hooking around the corner but it did feel for a moment like oversteer.

Parking, driveways, reversing, it's all the same as any other car, except you have a tighter turning circle than other cars of same wheel base.

Lastly, 4WS at high speeds keeps the car pointing straight and it drifts across lanes instead of zig zagging across. Apparently this makes towing trailers or caravans easier as the towed vehicle doesn't snake around behind the car as much.

Ciao! G.