Belts

It's about that time I start replacing the belts in my car as it makes a high pitch squealing noise when the A/C or heat is turned on, and a similiar noise (though not as loud) when idling. Now I know there are several belts in the Millenia, but what are their names and which ones do I need to change? I'm assuming the Serpentine belt for sure, but what about the Alternator belt? A quick Belt 101 to explain what it does and why they need replacing would be great. Thanks guys.

is it 2.5? I dont know how many it has either :noidea:

2.3 has two serpentine belts. One for s/c p/s w/p, th eother is for v/p a/c and alt.

If you have a crack for one inch then its time to change. I changed mine and all noises disappeared! I bought goodyear.

my car squeals when the a/c was left on and the next time i crank it up. and it squeals bad when speeding up until a certain speed...then it quits...they said that the belts were tight but something still isn't right...i have narrowed it down to the A/C belt. but is it loose or too tight?

Belt squeel generally comes from limited friction between the belt and a pulley (the belt slips on the pulley rather than gripping it). Belts stretch, if the belt isn't cracked all over the place, try tightening the tensioner first thereby increasing the friction between the belt(s) and pulley(s).

Yeah, might not need replacement for an occasional squeal, rather being tensioned. On the 2,5 the A/C compressor is driven by the front belt, with the tensioner facing upwards. Real easy job, but don't overdo it. There should be like half an inch play. On the other hand, if the timing belt is due, it is probably wise to do all the belts as preventive maintenance. Or at least thoroughly inspect once having them out.

Did I just speak like some dealer moron? :whistling:

Yeah first check the tension by pressing the belt.

Because of the cracks it squeals continuously, actually i could hear it when i pressed the belt.. By watering somehow you wet the belt so it doenst make noise. If it has too many crack it is done..

ok all my belts are brand new as of like august i can't remember exactly when but it was around that time that my timing belt broke and he replaced my other belts because they were rotting....but i got my car back from getting that fixed and then my mother drove it home and it had been running she said when she got there to pay, she didn't notice anything, which that is still true, when it runs for a while or i drive it somewhere, it doesn't squeal, if you recrank it up again within the next little while, it's only if it sits for a long time then restarting the engine makes it squeal, but if i turn off the ac before cutting off the car and then hours later like after work or something, i restart it, it wont do it...so i've narrowed it down,...but it squealed when my mama got it home, so i took it back the next day and he tightened it up and it still did it, he said something about my tensioner or pulley?