I got whooped by an M3

Arsonist

:(

Okay, no I didn't...I was joking again. However, something horribly has happened to my millenia. The steering wheel is not working. It revolves comlpetely, yes...but it doesn't turn the wheels, instead it makes this chattering noise when I turn it. It seems as if it was displaced.

Anyone got an idea what this could be? I'm thinking it might be the power steering pulley...

There's absolutely no resistance from the steering wheel. It feels like if it was a toy...

It happened this afternoon. I was backing up my car to go out somewhere and as I was turning the wheel, it snapped and felt loose. It won't turn the wheels of the car unless I turn the steering wheel really slowly. If I turn the steering wheel normally, there's this chattering noise coming from the steering pillar, like unzipping flies.

I'm so happy this didn't happen to me while I was driving out there in the road. I could've died or my millenia could've been wrecked.

Okay, I'm back from doing my inspection. I dissasembled the steering wheel today but found nothing wrong with it. I kept on looking down the column and found something rather worrying...

IPB Image

That's where the noise is coming from everytime i turn the wheel...and to me, it looks like that rod is crooked.

Another update:

Spoke with the dealer. I apparently need a new "rack and pinion" (one entire assembly) and that thing costs about $1300.

I spoke with a few friends who own some shops and they told me it might be possible to do a rebuild on the assembly, which is definitely cheaper than replacing it. Don't worry guys, I'm fighting to keep her alive.

Yeah, I was also involved in replacing the first one that I'd ever heard of going bad. It's a terrible job and you can't follow the book either, it's just not possible to do it the way the manual says.

I forgot to mention, unless you have a fucking impressive set of tools, don't bother trying. You will need an air hammer/chisel to remove the rack from the splined collar on the column.

Get one from a scrapyard, probably be like $150. And then bet two of your friends $200 that they can't change it in less than 2 hours. Now you have a new rack and $50 in your pocket.

This is only the second one I've heard of going in a milly.

Wrong. My friend brought another guy that's also a mechanic, supposedly an expert in rebuilding. He jacked the car really high, took the rack out from underneath the car and from where the pedals are at, told me what's wrong with it and took it with him so it can get fixed. All in less than 1 hour and a half.

The problem with the rack is the following:

He told me the car had been in an accident before and he guessed right. The rack nor the splined collar were broken, but the bolts that tighten the rods on the ends were bored (apparently the previous mechanics that took care of fixing the rack from the accident didn't put the right kind of bots in there) and they snapped loose, leaving the steering rod loose. He took the part with him to take out one of the bolts that was bored in there.

Fortunately nothing is broken and my milly will be ticking again tomorrow morning. :rofl: