Brake Job

ren, there is a company that wiz recommended years ago during the whole vr4 whatever project, I think its precisionbrakecompany or something, they do custom kits only, and include all of the above...granted a 6 piston 13" rotor with powder coated calipers and pads will run you 2400 for the front and another 2100 for the rear, so its in the price

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BHR, unless you can tell me what proportioning valves are, then don't try to sell me some bullshit saying a company includes them in their kit. Replacing those during a big brake install is like replacing the radiator when flushing the transmission...fucking pointless.

RSutton - Nice, a bit dark for my taste, but nice none the less.

hey ren, does the mx6 hav 4 wheel abs? I doubt it. but here is my question, when u upgrade to big brake kits, why doesnt it matter to upgrade the rears as well? and how are the big buck race cars do it? is it similar ways as well? i just find this very interesting and it's something i really get to know more about

ren, it controls the brake biased, i.e how much to the front how much to the rear, and in some cases are simply enlarged to allow more fluid to both, yes of course you *should* keep the same ratio of power to front, power to rear, but there are times you switch. F1 cars have it electronical controlled from the cockpit

as for ABS, I'm really liking it less and less, I have never once had it kick in on the road, don't really want it to, and in snow it seems to make things much worse

Seeing as you don't drive your car in snow or rain, and your tires cost $1500, ABS shouldn't be kicking in. If it was, then there's a good chance your life is about to flash before your eyes.

Why should you (maintain power ratio)? If you're changing the calipers to multi piston's, then you'll probably change that ratio, unless you're a ricer and bought them for looks.

Anubis - Generally big brakes have no effect on ABS...generally. There's only one instance I know of that they will, and that's with the Viper. One of the big brake kits for that car improves braking so much that the brakes will lock up before the ABS pump has a chance to kick in. Other than that they have no ill effects on abs. And the mx6 DOES have 4 wheel abs.

ren, I was referring to my jeep when slamming on the brakes in the snow.

I see. Well, if you want to get rid of ABS, just disconnect one of the wheel speed sensors, that will illuminate your ABS light on the dash and render the ABS system inoperational. Your brakes will work like always, just no abs.

Anubis, go with the x-drilled in the rear if you have them in the front, if for nothing else...symmetry. But I guarantee you will not notice a difference if you don't.