Results

mts

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was right up the road... and I would have changed it myself... but did you see the weather of late... too damn cold. I am also running rich due to O2 sensors... I know I need them....

But thanks Ren... I will keep that in mind... Airport Transit from your place would not be that bad.....

AT 40kmk/hr

HC ppm 53 limit 55 (I know this is high but I have 2 retarded O2 sensors.)

CO % 0.18 limit 0.31

NO ppm 8 limit 408

RPM 1661

Dilution 14.57

AT CURB IDLE

HC ppm 13 limit 150

CO % 0.00 limit 0.7

NO ppm N/A

RPM 683

Dilution 14.70

You're not running rich, stoichiometric is 14.7. You're running the wrong gas. If you were running rich your dilution would be sub 13.

Hmmm... that was on the 94 Octane Sunoco Clean gas too....

Fucking Sunoco. Ever notice the fine print on their signs for 94 Octane "Power and Performance" or some such shit? Right under the image of a Mini Cooper peeling out in a cloud of Power and Performance is says (in 4 point type which I will enhance slightly):

"Performance is dependent upon engine design and driving conditions"

Fuckers are actually trying to get people to spend more to buy gas that will make absolutely no difference when burned in the vast majority of cars. Might even hinder performance. Yeah, I shouldn't be surprised but the lies are so blatant.

Ren, how is this theory of yours that higher octane fuel burns less effective or something?

I would, though I don't know much about injected engines, normally blame high HC values on faulty plugs or wires, engine wear and tear (you know, needing a valve job and such) or other reasons why the combustion isn't burning all the fuel, since HC basically is unburned fuel.

Generally I'd expect HC values to rise if running on too low octane, due to ignition being retarded by the knock sensor :hmm:

I'm aware there is no point in running higher octane than the engine is designed for, but really wasn't aware of it causing trouble...

I am going to prove this fact... I am running 2-3 tanks of mid grade through the engine and then going for another emissions test... at $35 per test it is worth the proof. Then the arguing will be dealt with, with fact.

Octane resists burning much more than septane. The higher the octane, the less the fuel gets burned. And the knock sensor will only retard timing if it's needed, it doesn't do it if it doesn't need it. So, if you need regular, and run premium, then the timing won't be affected, but you will get incomplete burns. Now if you compare the milly with a timing advance of only 6deg. and a compression ratio of 8:1, to any other car with similar setups, you will find the milly is the only one that requires premium gas.

I have the KLZE in my mx6, which mazda says needs 95+ octane, I run it on 87 all the time and have yet to hear it ping, let alone get to the point where it knocks. I've also upgraded the ignition, and advanced the timing which should by all of Mazda's accounts make things worse. On the other hand, I'm running the ZE with an EGR valve which cools things down a bit. In short:

KLZE

10:1 compression

87 octane

EGR present

12 degrees advanced

No problems

KJZE

8:1 compression

EGR present

6 degrees advanced

and requires 93 octane....bullshit