Leds

ChiTown

the extra pair of resistors is only about 6 dollars, 15ohm 25w ones, so its cheaper to buy it all together and combine the shipping.

as for older cars, I have seen hyper flash on cars dating back to the late 70's early 80's. you would probably only have to worry about the hyper flash. however I just learned today that on an 01 ferrar i360 if you do a full led conversion in back your headlights won't turn on :shifty:

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never found a suitable flasher for these cars, though you can get them for various other makes and models. I've ordered LEDs for my turn signals and will probably go through Autolumination for my resistors - they really aren't cheap though, like US$20 plus shipping for a pair. :(

because young camel, in say a red 360 modena F1 coupe, the tail lights are a crappy halogen, they deserve to be chrisp led, especially the turns to elimnate that damn yolk look. Maybe even a set of challange wheels are on the way along with a challange grill, who knows :shifty:

I would love to know what kind of led's they put on F1 cars, theres only about 12 of them in there flasher units for hazardous weather, but those things are HELLA DAMN BRIGHT. from a good 500feet away in fog or the rain you can see them and get a hotspot in your eyes,

I noticed my right tail light has gone. So it is time to do a small LED conversion (just for two tail lights for now). So which one to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWO-SUPER-R...emZ130098896875

http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-7440-7443-T20S-T2...oQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWO-SUPER-R...1QQcmdZViewItem

Too many LEDs around. And sl.com is highly overpriced. An LED costs less than a cent in China today..

If you are interested in really f.ing bright LEDs check out this company. They even have LEDs for camera flash!

http://www.cree.com

Although they dont have specific auto LEDs i guess..

All of those will be a bad idea, you need a true tower, in order to tgain brightness its not jus the led, you need to have it hitting as much of the reflector as possible to focus the light in the pattern needed.

I buy all of my led's from www.superlumination.com and they will have every bulb you can think of. I think you have an 01-02 which takes 7443 for the brakes, 7440 for the turns, and 921 for the reverse.

go with the tower 2's, hell even the high power ones, they work great in my turn signals

What do you refer by tower 2? I am confused by sl.com actually, there are millions of choices..

Another question is how do you reach the bulbs? Just pry of the clothing or are there screws somewhere? Thanks a lot..

All of those will be a bad idea, you need a true tower, in order to tgain brightness its not jus the led, you need to have it hitting as much of the reflector as possible to focus the light in the pattern needed.

I buy all of my led's from www.superlumination.com and they will have every bulb you can think of. I think you have an 01-02 which takes 7443 for the brakes, 7440 for the turns, and 921 for the reverse.

go with the tower 2's, hell even the high power ones, they work great in my turn signals

saint, if you have an 01-02 then these are the brake lights you need.

http://superlumination.com/7443_7440.htm

Just scroll down to these, the 7443 (dual circuit), Also, make sure to get red, red will give you a deep blood red, if you go with white like some people think because the stock bulb is white, yoiu get an ugly orange hotspot.

IPB Image

For turn signals you need 7440 (single circuit, they are like the 3rd ones down on the same page as above and look like this

IPB Image

You can go with red or yellow, I like red just because its even more of an upscale oem thing to have a clear housing and then bright red light light.

Be sure to red my thread on the cruise control and the resistors you will need (which can also be purchased from SL.com) about 14 dollars for 4 you will need, very very easy to install.

Also, to replace the outer bulbs just open your trunk and you'll see 2 screws, take those out, then just knock the light straight out away from the car and it jsut pops out. For the inner tails just pull back the cloth liner near them and you can easily access the bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought LEDs from ebay for tails and license, spent less than $20. I ll take pictures ASAP and post here. Tails are somehow dull but a lot of dots. License works great.

why should i spend money on bulbs now where i could use it to fix more important things. although i had a question. i saw a car here with led's in their tailights during the day, and it looked like one big red dot. didnt fill the housing or anything. do u have that problem with towers?

No not two tiny red dots. The one I bought has 24 LEDs on it. And with the reflectors it seems even more. Bulb seems more uniform and amber. What i did was i changed one side and compared. LED is crimson, but the one i bought is not as bright as bulb. I didnt buy from sl.com since they are overly priced there. I will post pictures soon. And also i just changed the taillights not brake lights.

License plate looks pretty good.

I would say dont deal with it if you dont have too much time. I dont observe any big difference. One of my bulb was burnt thats why i switched to LED. I would recommend license plate though.

For the ones who argues LEDs will turn on faster and the one behind will hit the brake faster, sorry i wouldnt buy it..

Tails are somehow dull but a lot of dots.

hmm...so u would advise against led's in brake lights and such? cuz how would someone know im braking if all u see are two tiny red dots?

saint, led's do reach full power almost 200x faster then halogen bulbs, standing directly behind it you may only notice it a bit, but from several hundered feet or so on the highway its quite clear.

also, you have to get towers if your doing it, I'm guessing you got either towers or the ones with a bunch of top and 6 or so around the side.

I would recommend againt leds in your new car camel, it doesn't suit them.

as for where to buy, SL is not at all overpriced, but you get great quality, ebay ones are more likely to burn out, whereas proper led's should far outlast the car.

Ok, i will do a measurement tomorrow. Doesnt matter even 200millionX faster. As far as bulb response time is adequate, the one behind you may gain 0.1ft (3cm) with the LEDs. Anyways I have spare bulb now (not LED though) and i will do the test and math tomorrow..

saint, led's do reach full power almost 200x faster then halogen bulbs, standing directly behind it you may only notice it a bit, but from several hundered feet or so on the highway its quite clear.

also, you have to get towers if your doing it, I'm guessing you got either towers or the ones with a bunch of top and 6 or so around the side.

I would recommend againt leds in your new car camel, it doesn't suit them.

as for where to buy, SL is not at all overpriced, but you get great quality, ebay ones are more likely to burn out, whereas proper led's should far outlast the car.

DOT and ECE claim 4ft of braking distance from increased response time at 60mph. The idea is that a signal isn't transmitted to your brain until the full power is hit, if it "warms up" like a halogen it takes longer, if its instant then your brain reacts faster, so without improving cars you can improve drivers.

Alright i took it back. I shot a video. Since my outer lights are bulb and inner are LED i could see the difference. I measured the response time difference in computer, it was 0.134sec. which makes 12ft (4m) at 60mph (95km/hr) speed. Video is coming...

BHR is correct, this is a valid argument for LEDs because a few metres makes the difference between an accident or no accident. However, LED bulbs need to become a hell of a lot brighter to keep OEM set-ups honest in terms of overall performance.