Dead Cat

You my friend, may come in very handy one day...:shifty:

So why don't we just do this to Millers car?

I can take it off and put it back (rather quickly I might add), you do the cleaning, and we do the plugs.

umm, sounds like its time to throw on a highflow cat for all of 250 in parts and install

but yes, it was most certainly caused by using cheap gas, perhaps you should pay the full bill as a fine?, you know paying the extra money you "saved" on gas

Your comments should have to be 'reviewed' before they are allowed to be posted.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Ren's bombshell and some research I've discovered that -- apparently -- the idea of cleaning cats with citric acid is not all that new. Operators of truck fleets and fixed engines in industrial applications do it. I guess the diesel exhaust is particularly hard on the catalyst.

I found one reference to soaking it for a few hours at 80 deg C. I have a feeling, however that they aren't interestin in one little cat from Joe Nobody but rather hundreds per year from a company with huge fleets of trucks to keep on the road.

The descent into madness continues apace...

Citric acid is used in many industrial and food processes to clean equipment, usually a 2% caustic wash followed by a 2% citric acid wash at about 80 deg Celsius... it is amazing at what this will take off. BUT you have to take all the precautions of rinsing to avoid caustic/acid reaction.

Oops -- I guess I should actually read the posts in my own damn thread, eh?

I'm up for a test. Still need to get the word from Mazda on the warranty issue. I am not hopeful, however...

So, next question, how to we heat this stuff without becoming beautiful-smelling corpses...?

If yours is covered, I am game to pull this test on mine... and I think I have found citric acid concentrate at a wine making store.

First of all, we are talking of only a 2% solution which is barely even of a MOL concetration that could be felt on the skin... we could in effect raise it to 5% and in a large pot raise the temperature... cap the end of the manifold and pour the hot acid solution into it. Allow some soaking time, and then repeat. then rinse with hot water.

can one even do some precautionary measures and get all his cats cleaned? im thinking of doing this. however...i just wanna do this to my precats. the others will be replaced with highflow cats. (there are only two others right?)

p.s. do i even have a precat? cuz i was told once that the 95 never had precats but all other models did. can anyone verify this? (dont wanna look under my car when there is black ice everywhere)

I have heard of cleaning them before, however ren, I'm well aware of what they look like on the inside, and NEW ones do look like that, however when your have 150k on a car with the original cat and you flat out fail emissions across the board, and when getting it replaced the shop guy has to bring it into the waiting room to show you, I promise you it can be totally empty

ahh...ok. so when upgrading the exhaust, one should just replace it from the catback? (headers...? ehhhh...unless we can somehow decieve the 02 sensors or some ish) this is most interesting. btw...does one have to worry about installing a flexpipe when installing an upgraded exhaust? (high flow cat, 2.5 inch pipe, resonator, muffler) i dont want exhaust hangers to be broken

http://www.autopart.com/exhaustn/default.a...2F2%2E3L+ENG%2E

I think it is just a collector

another one...

IPB Image from Walker

In my shop manual it looks like the 2.5 has no precats, only the 2.3. Anyone know for sure? What is interesting in this diagram is that is doesn't show the manifold/precats at all.

I think this test needs to be conducted. What about the pump used for circulation? Any issues with the concentration fucking it up? Sounds like maybe not. A sump pump would be great. High volume, high flow with nice large outlet. Might mate right up with some pvc reducers.