Dead Cat

It's bad amigos. I finally went in to get that CEL dealt with expecting the cure to good ol P0421 to be a new O2 sensor.

Instead, I was presented with the following exhaust gas temp readings off their infrared scope.

Bank 2 Cat

Temperature at inlet 450 degrees

Temperature at outlet 530 degrees

Result: In spec

Bank 1 Cat

Temperature at inlet 460 degrees

Temperature at outlet 460 degrees

Result: Very, very, not OK

Leaping dogsnot -- the quote is $1470 for the cat and $500 labour to install.

Someone tell me there are aftermarket cats for this car and I really don't have to be raped by Mazda. (This, in fact, was not a Mazda dealer but they say they have to go there for the part...)

Also, what do you think of the guy's suggestion to first replace all plugs then both 02 sensors on that side as a first shot. He says on very rare occasions he's seen a cat come back to life after that treatment.

My plugs have 115,000 km on them.

Finally, anyone actually replace a cat themselves? What kind of hassle factor are we talking? I see from the shop manual that they are snugged right up against the manifolds. In fact, the guy today said you pretty much have to remove the manifolds and a crossmember to get it out. Seems hard to believe.

And really finally, dear lord, do not let this be due to mid grade gas. I'll pay twice that repair bill just to avoid the I told you sos from the likes of BHR and his Flat Earth associates....Logically I'm certain it can't be, yet....yet....

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done it before, I can do it again.

I remember there was a place in the states that sold the cats for relatively cheap ~$300. And labour, I'm sure we can work something out.

http://www.villa-automotive.com/ReasonsFor...rterFailure.htm

Please note the excessive fuel entering exhaust part. High HC's are excessive fuel, and where do those come from?

Miller, take your car to Mazda, I believe the cats have a 160k warranty on them. It could turn out to be a free fix.

I've done it before, I can do it again.

I remember there was a place in the states that sold the cats for relatively cheap ~$300. And labour, I'm sure we can work something out.

http://www.villa-automotive.com/ReasonsFor...rterFailure.htm

Please note the excessive fuel entering exhaust part. High HC's are excessive fuel, and where do those come from?

Miller, take your car to Mazda, I believe the cats have a 160k warranty on them. It could turn out to be a free fix.

Only one catch.... Mazda will look at when the maintenance was last done... plugs at 115,000kms will void that likely...

a few things to note, yes the plugs make a big difference, and 2nd ren

In the U.S all cars sold after 84/85ish are required to carry a 90k (miles) warrenty and a 96 month warrenty, of course from date of first use. Not sure how it is in canada, but I'm sure it would have expired by now.

As for cats, grip, plat, marcus and myself all have high flow cats and paid less then 280 for parts and install. Now the install was done while having a whoe exhaust put on so that might have made it cheaper, but I can't imagine by much

BHR - where did you get those hi-flow cats and did they include the manifolds or was there custom work done to attach them to the manifolds?

I think step one is try Mazda out. If they toss me into the street, then Ren, name me a price. MTS has already volunteered to help with a plug change. Maybe we do it all at once. I have a sneaking feeling it's plugs. I've been getting some hesitation and have had a lumpy idle for a couple of months now (although no codes other than the cat inefficiency).

You guys aren't getting it. It's not his main cat that is the concern, that would be $200 installed just about anywhere. It's the precious precats that are fucking extortion, and a little more tedious to install. Generic $80 cats will NOT work in this instance. You have to remove the entire exhaust manifold (precat) and replace with a new one. Miller it's not hard, you need to have the proper tools or you can't do it. Well, you can't do it without a lot of band aids. When I get home tonight I'll see if I can find the site that sells them.

Or, I remember reading an article saying that it is possible to clean clogged cats with citric acid. It cleans the crap, without damaging the catalysts. If you have a reliable source for citric acid, maybe we do a test? I believe it was the University of Edmonton that published the article.

Are you shitting me, Ren?! Instead of paying Mazda two grand I could be washing my cat in fucking lemon juice!!?

As for the cat itself -- yeah, it's most certainly the little one snugged up against the manifold. If it were the one midline in the exhaust I'd be thrilled. Hence my question to BHR about whether his highflow was integrated with the manifold...Too good to be true for that price.

It is the precat on the firewall side... the most ignorant one. And yes removing the exhaust manifold is required as it is one piece with the precat, and here in Canada at Mazda $1400 for the part.... stealership I say.

BHR, you obviously don't know what a cat looks like on the inside. It's never empty. The inside of a cat looks like a thick honeycomb block that's coated with 3 (iirc) catalysts. If the catalysts get coated with oil or fuel, then they no longer come in contact with the exhaust and no longer do their job. And since they're coated the spaces in the honeycomb get filled up with crap, hence the term plugged cat.

And they're not cheap, at any dealership whether in Canada or the States. And they ARE the header (exhaust manifold), and as such, somewhat tedious to replace. Not hard, but definitely a knuckle breaker of a job.

Yeah Miller, I didn't have time last night to search for the cheap new cat, but I know for a fact it was citric acid that they used to clean them.

Citric acid is used in many industrial and food processes to clean equipment, usually a 2% caustic wash followed by a 2% citric acid wash at about 80 deg Celsius... it is amazing at what this will take off. BUT you have to take all the precautions of rinsing to avoid caustic/acid reaction.