Dead Cat

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:unsure: say it ain't Burlington Mazda.....

Ha ha -- no, Oakville. I'm not in the market at the moment for a brake line stretching, but I'll keep them in mind should the need arise.

4 hours, fourteen minutes...no news yet... :angry2:

:unsure:

That's the trouble with this place. By the time all the whores have had their way with you, you can't remember what the hell the thread was originally all about!

If Mazda confirms a dead cat, and they decline to cover it under their seven year warranty...then it's either acid bath time or the aftermarket.

Ummmm. Just got the call.

In the investigation into the state of the cat, they pulled a plug to see the state of combustion. It was covered in oil. Like dripping. Then they pulled another plug. Same thing. And another, and so on.

Their verdict is my supercharger is gone, which is pouring oil into the cylinders, which is coating the cats.

I asked why no smoke or rattle and he said when they started it to pull in it was smoking like hell.

They can make it all go away for.....$7500

I'm going to go lie down now.

If the S/C was going bad there should have certainly been thick smoke and loss of power and mileage. You may want to invest in a parted out millenia on Ebay, I see superchargers all the time going for 50-600 dollars all the time, all you would need is labor, which ren may or may not be able to assist with.

With the cats being coated it would seem that you can change them out afterwards.

I was just telling the future wife about your dilema and realized something. Go back to Mazda, tell them they're full of shit and trying to rape you. If you're not blowing smoke then your s/c is not dead. The spark plugs are probably coated with oil because your valve cover gaskets are leaking. This is very common with Mazda VCG's, very common. If the electrodes on the plugs were dripping with oil because there was that much in the combustion chamber, then you'd barely get the car moving, and would be smoking like a 30 year old diesel truck. Even the wife's wasn't that bad at the end.

Since tomorrow's supposed to be relatively warm do this: let the car sit as long as possible without starting it. Then start it and watch the exhaust. If your s/c is as dead as they seem to think, you will have not a puff, but a prolonged cloud of continuous smoke. If not, then my suggestion would be, new valve cover gaskets (fairly big job), new plugs, and a new (acid soaked cat). And new o2 sensors for the offending cat if within the budget.

Ummmm. Just got the call.

In the investigation into the state of the cat, they pulled a plug to see the state of combustion. It was covered in oil. Like dripping. Then they pulled another plug. Same thing. And another, and so on.

Their verdict is my supercharger is gone, which is pouring oil into the cylinders, which is coating the cats.

I asked why no smoke or rattle and he said when they started it to pull in it was smoking like hell.

They can make it all go away for.....$7500

I'm going to go lie down now.

Where u live dude Do u live near NJ

He lives nowhere near Jersey, he's Canadian and about a 35min drive from my house.

And they want 7500 for s/c replacement fuck them candian tech lol j/k ehhhh.

Help him out ren if you can

I was just telling the future wife about your dilema and realized something. Go back to Mazda, tell them they're full of shit and trying to rape you. If you're not blowing smoke then your s/c is not dead. The spark plugs are probably coated with oil because your valve cover gaskets are leaking. This is very common with Mazda VCG's, very common. If the electrodes on the plugs were dripping with oil because there was that much in the combustion chamber, then you'd barely get the car moving, and would be smoking like a 30 year old diesel truck. Even the wife's wasn't that bad at the end.

Since tomorrow's supposed to be relatively warm do this: let the car sit as long as possible without starting it. Then start it and watch the exhaust. If your s/c is as dead as they seem to think, you will have not a puff, but a prolonged cloud of continuous smoke. If not, then my suggestion would be, new valve cover gaskets (fairly big job), new plugs, and a new (acid soaked cat). And new o2 sensors for the offending cat if within the budget.

OK -- this is screwy. I just got back from getting the car. Because they had it apart and all the plugs out I asked them to put in some new ones and button it up so I could think about what my next move would be. It fired right up and purred like a kitten. Super, super smooth. The usual slightly noxious smelling exhaust but no smoke and no rattle.

Maybe you and Rengirl have got the right idea here. Could it be these guys have made a mistake? I asked if it was possible that the oil from the leaking cover gaskets went into the plug holes but they said not really -- the plugs looked like they were running fouled for a while.

Another thought. Can you tell for sure about sc seals by pulling the induction plumbing off the intercoolers? I seem to remember hearing oil will run down there too if the seals are leaking. True?

OK -- this is screwy. I just got back from getting the car. Because they had it apart and all the plugs out I asked them to put in some new ones and button it up so I could think about what my next move would be. It fired right up and purred like a kitten. Super, super smooth. The usual slightly noxious smelling exhaust but no smoke and no rattle.

Maybe you and Rengirl have got the right idea here. Could it be these guys have made a mistake? I asked if it was possible that the oil from the leaking cover gaskets went into the plug holes but they said not really -- the plugs looked like they were running fouled for a while.

Another thought. Can you tell for sure about sc seals by pulling the induction plumbing off the intercoolers? I seem to remember hearing oil will run down there too if the seals are leaking. True?

Oil in the intercooler or the tubes not a good sign.

If the intercooler has some oily residue built up in it, then you have either no problem what so ever, or the first sign of a dead s/c. If there is a small pool of oil in the intercooler, and it has a clear oily film but clean (and I mean clean) otherwise, then the s/c is definitely shot.

The PCV valve dumps oily blow-by gases before the s/c and throttle body, so that shit builds up throughout the intake tract. So, you should have some build-up. Oil itself however, is a detergent. If your s/c is blowing a lot of oil, it actually cleans the intake tract. You won't see any trace of blow-by residue, but will be left with a puddle of oil in both intercoolers.

Your plugs have 115k on them. Running either rich (or with high octane) will cause carbon build-up. I wouldn't put too much precidence on the condition of the plugs at that mileage. And seeing as the milly naturally burns some oil (much like every other Mazda) plug condition isn't all that accurate.

Leaky VCG's won't cause oil to get in the plug holes until the plug is removed, then it spills into the cylinder, and coats the rest of the plug. This is what I think is happening.

Oh, and noxious exhaust (rotton egg smell) is also caused by octane abuse (too much).

Miller... I am home tomorrow... I will come up and run an MTS diagnosis on the S/C, since I have lived through the dilemma once already. I think Ren is correct.. if you are not blowing smoke like a dance club you have a good S/C. Just give us a few days... before letting Mazda rape you.

Miller... I am home tomorrow... I will come up and run an MTS diagnosis on the S/C, since I have lived through the dilemma once already. I think Ren is correct.. if you are not blowing smoke like a dance club you have a good S/C. Just give us a few days... before letting Mazda rape you.

The pizza shall be hot, the b33rs shall be chilled and little Miss Milly shall be in the driveway, skirt hiked and ready for your knowing hands... :D

PS: Only a small puff of black smoke this morning after sitting all night and she purred like a kitty all the way to work. :huh2: