My Own Intake

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for the difference between rice and K&N, but I arrived back home, drove to and from work a couple times, installed the intake. I've driven a total of 100 miles since returning from the meet, and I've only used a quarter of a tank. I haven't exactly been driving Miss Daisy the past few days either. Intake is making a pretty big difference in gas mileage for me at least, even laying into the throttle and mostly stop and go driving.

looks good jdub!

I really,really,really wanted black grommets for my intake but everywhere i went they costed more, or didnt have the 90 degree one. but i will continue to hunt...maybe intakes in the future will have blk ones.

jdub....a little something i learned from custom building/modding a probe intake to fit my old 2.5: It looks like the clamp included in your kit to secure the filter is aluminum, get rid of it....after bouncing and shaking around for a month or two it will snap, go get a steel one from the hardware store. and i hope you put lock-tight on those snake clamps, they will loosen over time, dont want your filter to fall off!

chitown,

I found them on ebay, perfect size, the 90 degree is like 26 and the straight was like 15, or combine shipping and its alittle less.

the clamps with chitowns are massive, maybe a bit overkill, but i'll be damned if that piping is going anywhere

oh, i know, i saw them on ebay too, but that is too much, i paid a lot less for the blue ones which are 5 and 4 ply, very high quality....i didnt want to have to raise the cost of the intake any more than where it is at currently...

:hmm:

dont get me wrong though, that is still a good price for a 90 degree grommet. When building the intake for my 2.5 i spent like 45 bucks on a 45 degree grommet from hosetechnics.com because i needed one that was longer than those offered on ebay....

I also went out and made my own intake, i've been considering it since i saw the first thread and heard about the results, and have been getting info from others who have made their own intakes and what they used. I felt bad about not buying one from Chi, but it was either NO intake or make my own cheap intake, and after hearing that quote from MTS, I had to hear it for myself.

And the sound turns heads, as they are now trying to figure out what hides under the hood.

I went to Home Depot to get everything except the filter. I still need to put the finishing touches on it tomorrow (maybe another $10 or so), but the sound is AMAZING. I am sure it is nowhere near the quality of Chi's, but everything cost me about $30, plus the $50 for the K&N. So far I am very impressed, and i will take pics, and maybe try getting a sound clip tomorrow.

ok, this is what the intake looks like. and for the sound clip, its just too hard to not get the wind, but i can tell you that now that i hear it in real life, it sounds about the same as the clip MTS posted.

This pic doesn't have the top bend, because i had some extra tubing and wires that i didnt see in the engine of the other pictures, and i had it tie wrapped to the bend, and i didn't feel like taking it all out again. And the sticker in the second picture is there for now, because i had nothing else to do with it, but i can't decide if i like it there or not.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

ok, this is what the intake looks like. and for the sound clip, its just too hard to not get the wind, but i can tell you that now that i hear it in real life, it sounds about the same as the clip MTS posted.

This pic doesn't have the top bend, because i had some extra tubing and wires that i didnt see in the engine of the other pictures, and i had it tie wrapped to the bend, and i didn't feel like taking it all out again. And the sticker in the second picture is there for now, because i had nothing else to do with it, but i can't decide if i like it there or not.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

the feeling of doing it yourself is usually the best part. good job matt!

I am glad to see that everyone is getting an intake like its contagious!!!!