My Own Intake

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the regular S engine sound until you hit about 2500 RPM. Past that you start to really hear the S/C. The difference has to be the filter. The K&N has plently of airflow below below that RPM, and the ricer filter apparently does not. That's the only explanation for sound difference I can figure out. MTS might be able to chime in on this, the only difference is that the Spectre univeral intake had a half stack filter, and his had a full stack filter. The half stack has half the surface area for air to pass, which makes me think that was the difference in noise level. It might sound a little ricey, but revving at all the modded honda's in Florence and backing them down with the S/C whine was pretty damn fun.

Actually the sound difference is evident because the factory intake is designed to silent the engine, and specially the supercharger in the Miller Cycle engine. It is obtained by designing the airfilter box to deaden sound, and not least the chamber (white box) placed on the factory tubing. There is probably another item after the CAI as well which does its job to silent the supercharger. After all it is meant to be a semi-luxury sedan.

I found the sound cool, at least for a weekend. And of course it is why I named MTS' Milly the SawMill :D

MTS and I were discussing what the difference in sound would be if you removed the resonator box and went directly to the throttle body, there are other lines coming off that would have tobe addressed but I'm still of the opinion that hte box keeps that damn "all intake, no engine" sound out, which if it had been the case I wouldn't have gotton one.

in mts's car atleast, right about 3k under heavy load is the sweet spot

i wanted to go straight from the throttle body but as i said before and BHR pointed out that there are six vaccum tubes of various diameter connected to the resonator box which so far have kept me from completing it. soon i will get around to it.

I believe that supercharged and turbo charged (forced induction or FI) engines both have different intake sounds to NA cars, reducing the amount/tone of intake sucking you can hear.

IMO, intake noise on NA cars is awesome, but without a matching exhaust system, it's like having a noisy blow off valve on a FI engine.

An intake and good exhaust can turn any road car into the sound of a race car.

G.

p.s. to me an exhaust is a full system, headers right through to muffler tip, all designed for performance and a tiny bit of noise reduction - but I don't like it too loud.

The lobes spin at 22k and 14k at most and it is engine rpm dependent. I am a human and i cannot hear a 14kHz and 22kHz sound signals.

Nah, you hear the S/C whine, thats not the filter.

of course it has crossed my mind that it may be doing extreme damage to the S/C, I mean that much more sound it must be spinning faster

of course it has crossed my mind that it may be doing extreme damage to the S/C, I mean that much more sound it must be spinning faster

ROFL! you crack me up.

I haven't looked closely at mine yet, but there's something called VRIS I think which is a variable resonance inttake system - at specific RPMs it opens or closes resonance chambers on the intake, tuning the intake for specific RPMs. Does that system exist on the 2.3 SC engine?

Have you guys putting the CAI on left this system in place?

Removing it may increase sound further and provide better power at some point in the engine range due to less restriction. I say some point because the intake won't have the variable resonance any more so it will likely make improvements to only one part of the rev range.

G.

I believe that supercharged and turbo charged (forced induction or FI) engines both have different intake sounds to NA cars, reducing the amount/tone of intake sucking you can hear.

IMO, intake noise on NA cars is awesome, but without a matching exhaust system, it's like having a noisy blow off valve on a FI engine.

An intake and good exhaust can turn any road car into the sound of a race car.

G.

p.s. to me an exhaust is a full system, headers right through to muffler tip, all designed for performance and a tiny bit of noise reduction - but I don't like it too loud.

You're correct Graham. Even a 1200 Corolla has a meaty intake sound with the cover pulled off the airfilter housing :D

I found the different sound in the Miller Cycle versus 2,5 interesting. In the 2,3 you can't actually hear much of the engine while driving, what you hear is the supercharger. This was MTS' car with the CAI but I will guess it is like that in a stock car as well. The 2,5 sounds like an engine, with sound varying with throttle opening. I am yet to decide what I enjoy better, the SawMill sound once pulling hard is cool but hardly automotive. Like a Jaguar V8 supercharged.

On a related note, the exhaust will sound very different in a turboed car, because the turbo chops up the impulses from each cylinder into a steady flow of gases. This will not be the case in a supercharged engine as the exhaust then is free to go.

I jsut said it crossed my mind, not that it actually was, go away ren.

And graham, nothing was removed with this system, it more or less removed the factory air box and downpipe, replaced it all with something much shorter and with fewer bends, and a filter in the same palce as the air pick up.

So you can't really call it a "CAI" since it picks up the air from the exact same spot as factory, but there is no ricey sound at all, I'm still impressed

xedos, I seem to remember me being in front pulling away, until I slowed down because I wanted to hear the CAI.

And as I said, and mts just confirmed, he has been away dealing with other issues.

Frank, shutup, I'm getting really tired of the millenia jokes, very very few people do there own maintance, and given that I have much less time to waste then other people I do alot, and what I don't do I do because I'm smart enough to not take the chance of fucking it up, or frankly, why the fuck should I waste my time getting dirty and do something that might be right and cause all kinds of heacaches when I can simply spend a total of 20 minutes dropping it off at a place that knows my car and is entrusted with it

Smaller filter less surface area, therefore same filtration ability per square inch. BUT bigger allows more airflow. It all depends on filter media.... paper filters often are up to 300cfm of flow, while K&N mesh/cotton media allows for 800+/- cfm of flow. Size has less effect on the airflow capacity than media type. Either way if not cleaned regularly a flow deficiency will result. The filter size has little or NO effect on the sound, again the filter media allows the change in sound passed. Drop in K&N filters for stock systems make an audible difference in intake sound, therefore the size has not changed, only the media. What makes the true audible difference is removing all the bends and restrictions from the stock intake system. The resonance chamber that is attached to the throttle body, if removed will drasticly increase the sound heard from the S/C, although the 6 air/vacuum hoses all have to be considered in the replacement pipe, the flow may change in these lines.... :unsure: