My Own Intake

Well, after seeing the intake at the meet, and throwing around ideas, i bought some materials to make my own intake today. It took me a couple of hours before work, but I can verify that the universal intake pipe at Pepboys made by Spectre can be modified to get the same result as the current intake on the forums. The almost 90 degree bend can be achieved by cutting about 6 inches from the top of the universal pipe provided in the kit, and using a 8$ sleeve to make up the difference. The big challenge in figuring this out today was the 90 degree bend at the top from the TB to the MAF piece. It's temporary, but i used the cheap plastic flex hose that came with the kit, easily replaced by the silicon flex hose i saw on MTS' milly, which i need to find. I have some stuff to return to Pep, but here's my calculation doing this my way.

Spectre universal kit $70 (includes the pipe, materials for making a bracket, one silicon flex sleeve, filter, two clamps, grommets for MAF, and cheap plastic flex tubing)

2 Spectre 3" sleeves $16

K&N Filter $66 (or use the cheap one provided with the universal kit)

Mine is kind of rigged right now because i had to get to work right after getting things back together, but I'll put up pics tomorrow of the assembled intake. S model specific btw.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, the K&N is actually quieter than the rice filter, but the engine still screams at high rpm. I need to find a black 90 degree elbow asap to complete this. I'm sure the ridges in the plastic can't be helping airflow, but it's a definate improvement over the OEM airbox.

clue, ifI can find some black ones I'll go with them in a heartbeat.

kat, I know he doesn't, he was the only 1 at MWM07 without them, I have already sent jdubs some links.

The black/silver looks great in the MC engine bay

Send me the links too...:shifty:

No one told me HIDs were a requirement, lol. I will be doing my research tonight and adding to "the list". Someone want to get me started on 12k, 8k, etc stuff? I seem to remember it having to do with color.

jdubs,

you want 4300k - the only oem color, since you have projectors your headlights will look 98% like oem hids, and work avout 90% as well as oem hids, nothing better without a retrofit, alot of people with the 01-02 and 4300k you can't even tell the difference between oem and them, and the improvement is 10 fold.

oh btw, when you say quieter? As in the S/C whine, or do the crappy ones have more of a ricey sound? I only had a k&n laying around so I can't test at this time.

It's the regular S engine sound until you hit about 2500 RPM. Past that you start to really hear the S/C. The difference has to be the filter. The K&N has plently of airflow below below that RPM, and the ricer filter apparently does not. That's the only explanation for sound difference I can figure out. MTS might be able to chime in on this, the only difference is that the Spectre univeral intake had a half stack filter, and his had a full stack filter. The half stack has half the surface area for air to pass, which makes me think that was the difference in noise level. It might sound a little ricey, but revving at all the modded honda's in Florence and backing them down with the S/C whine was pretty damn fun.

Not trying to steal Chi's thunder, just another option for S owners. When i put my mind to getting something done, I take what I have available, and make it happen. Lessons learned from my Avenger. If you don't have a part available, get to work.

Since putting on the K&N at the meet, the sound is a little richer... BUT in the journey home one thing noticed.... my mileage was actually better, albeit only about 5-10% better. But I got 650kms on the way to Montreal and still had 6.5 litres in the tank. Where before on the same drive with the same weather conditions, I would get 600kms and have about 6 litres left.... SO The CAI has an effect. Because I even kept the cruise set at 135 km/h (85 mph) with the air on ECON.