My Own Intake

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smaller filter less surface area, therefore same filtration ability per square inch. BUT bigger allows more airflow. It all depends on filter media.... paper filters often are up to 300cfm of flow, while K&N mesh/cotton media allows for 800+/- cfm of flow. Size has less effect on the airflow capacity than media type. Either way if not cleaned regularly a flow deficiency will result. The filter size has little or NO effect on the sound, again the filter media allows the change in sound passed. Drop in K&N filters for stock systems make an audible difference in intake sound, therefore the size has not changed, only the media. What makes the true audible difference is removing all the bends and restrictions from the stock intake system. The resonance chamber that is attached to the throttle body, if removed will drasticly increase the sound heard from the S/C, although the 6 air/vacuum hoses all have to be considered in the replacement pipe, the flow may change in these lines.... :unsure:

well put, when i get the time the resonator box will be gone, but it is still a month or two away, if not next summer. someone may have to beat me to this one....

It has a purpose there. They invest so much in engineering to optimize that resonator so that air flows smooth and engine is quieter, flawless. And you will take it out for at most half an hp more or less.. I havent seen any car without some sort of resonator at the intake.. You will get more noise for sure but dont fool yourself and think it is more power. It is "RICE"...

My modified intake on a previous car was quite audible, but it certainly did provide a power increase (just) and measurable improvement in fuel economy.

IPB Image

What needs to be considered is that cars are manufactured for the average public, to be civilised and acceptably quiet.

If we all went around driving NASCAR engined vehicles, we'd all be deaf and chocking on more NOx, CO2 + CO.

Basics: An engine is an air pump. The more air it can get in & out the more power it can produce.

Fact: Manufacturers put restrictions in the intake + exhaust to quieten the engine down. Intakes receive resonance chambers, bends in pipes, ribbed pipes, convoluted ducts and the only thing that doesn't rob power are the ducts to sources of fresh, cold air, sometimes being rammed into the intake pipe. :)

Exhausts are similar with resonators to try and create a cancelling sound wave + mufflers to slow exhaust flow and absorb the sound.

All of these restrictions reduce the engines ability to pump air and produce power.

So what does this mean? Well to me it means "remove a restriction gain some power". Unfortunately adding noise is easier and its also possible to have lots of noise but still have restrictions. So the trick is in smart modifications and not dumb ones.

Dumb ones get labelled as rice and unfortunately some of the ricers also have some smart modifications, but people that are intollerant and unwilling to accept, appreciate or just learn from ricers miss out on these sometimes great modifications.

Go back just a short while and the V8 car scene would never ever put a turbo on an engine, that was the 80's equivalent of rice, but now I see street V8s with as many as 4 turbos and producing anywhere up to 1500hp.

One mans rice could be another mans performance.

/end rant I guess. :)

On modifying intakes and removing restrictions, resonators, etc.

Resonators generally improve engine performance by tuning the intake for a set RPM. Manufacturers will analyse average vehicle use and the mechanical design and may decide the engine will spend 80% of the cars moving life at 2600rpm, so they tune the intake for that engine speed.

If I could, I'd rip the sucker off right up to the throttle body, put on as straight a pipe as possible, locating the filter in some cool air with as smooth a design as possible.

The result may be a 2% power loss at 2600rpm, because it's no longer tuned, but from 4000rpm to red line it may improve power by 5% due to less restrictions.

For me, that would be an improvement and sound great too. For the average motorist, it would be a noisy inconvenience.

Ciao! G.

I'm not familiar with the design of this intake resonator, but have a feeling the resulting noise levels from the Lysholm SC would be insane once removed.

It is strange though, Roots type air compressors are very silent... I used to maintain one delivering 54 litres of air per second (at 10 bar!) and it looked just like those Aston Martin and Jaguar uses in their cars...

Never thought of it though, guess it featured some neat engineering to silent its intake...

So you mean taking out the resonator and putting a pipe which has 1/10th of volume of the resonator will increase the air flow? Sorry I dont buy it.. Besides i am sure they took into account where and at what angle to connect other pipes to the resonator so that the air flow wont be affected. Here are some pics.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

It looks like the biggest obsticale is room. the resinater box looks like it was created to fit in the area it was placed and to add a large enough bend/air chamber for the intake. If there is room, straight on to the intake should work just fine. :hmm:

Nice pics! :thumbup1:

all that is needed is a straight pip cut to the proper length with the 6 vacuum tube nipples attached with the correct diameter. there are 6 tubes going to the resonator box but 3 different sizes, some of the tubes may need to be extended as well to reach there new location on the pipe.

the 90 degree silicone grommet at the top of the chitown intake can just be turned and pointed directly at the throttle body, either a hump style straight grommet or a 45 degree grommet attached to the throttle body will give you the proper angle to only need a straight pipe connecting the two.

I will experiment with the design and post observations once a prototype is complete, but like i said, i am just too busy lately so this is going to have to wait for at least a month....

oh yeah, and the resonator box also hold up the duct for the rear intercooler securing it with a 10mm bolt, so it must be constructed so as to secure the duct properly once the box is removed and replaced with a pipe.

So you mean taking out the resonator and putting a pipe which has 1/10th of volume of the resonator will increase the air flow? Sorry I dont buy it.. Besides i am sure they took into account where and at what angle to connect other pipes to the resonator so that the air flow wont be affected.

In the understanding of fluid dynamics, you would know that a large volume box put into a system of smaller sized piping creates a resistance to flow, and creates turbulence. If there is a 3" line coming into the box and a 3" outlet, the rate of flow is limited by the volume of the inlet and outlet pipes. And the piping in the millenia actually is reduced to less than the cross-sectional volume of a 3" pipe where it is open behind the front bumper. What the "resonator" box does is just what the name entails, tunes the sound emitted on the inlet side of the intake to reduce the sound on the inlet side to an engine. As any fluid dynamic student knows, laminar flow is much more efficent than turbulent. This is why quality CAIs are always made from smooth wall piping with large smooth bends. And why any of that crap the sell on eBay that puts a spin on the air are crap, as the actually create a pressure drop at the nozzle area between the blade, and this low pressure area creates turbulence, and resistance to flow.

Same as a resonator on the exhaust system does, it tones down the sound waves of the cylinder firing so that the sound is dampened and more constistent. If you have ever straight piped a vehicle's exhaust you would understand the effects of a resonator. It in effect caps off the high, obnoxious exhaust notes that the firing of the cylinders emits. An exhaust system without resonantor and/or muffler is loud and has a high frequency snap that is truly undesireable anywhere outside of the racetracks.

As for the angle of entry, this is very easily obtained using another 45 degree flex pipe, and turning the current 90 degree one. Thereby creating a nice smooth path of flow into the throttle body.

[attachmentid=767] [attachmentid=768][attachmentid=769]

As you can see in the pictures the original intake, as you have, comes straight into the resonator box, as does the CAI. Now if the box was removed, there could be another nice smooth piece of 3" pipe placed in, turn the CAI 90 flex back toward the throttle body inlet, place the pipe in, and then a 30-45 degree flex added to join the new pipe to the throttle body. I zoomed in on the throttle body union, and there is just a clamped on tube there also, so this is very do-able. The reason I am saying 30-45 degrees, is because the throttle body inlet has a slight turn towards the front of the car.

The only other problem that will arise, as Renboy and I have already discussed, is that the rear intercooler ducting bolts down in 2 places in the resonator box. So something would have done to accomodate for this.

rebuild_014.jpg

PIC_0058.JPG

rebuild_014b.jpg

So you mean taking out the resonator and putting a pipe which has 1/10th of volume of the resonator will increase the air flow? Sorry I dont buy it.. Besides i am sure they took into account where and at what angle to connect other pipes to the resonator so that the air flow wont be affected.

In the understanding of fluid dynamics, you would know that a large volume box put into a system of smaller sized piping creates a resistance to flow, and creates turbulence.

Not if the volume is big enough to slow down flow! I'm not saying this box is big enough though. On modern sports bikes the (often ramaired) airbox is comparable with the fueltank for size and plays a major role in performance throughout the revrange.

If I were going to do it, I would try to add another piece of metal tubing, just for looks and ease, then have 2 straight coplers from the throttle body, and then to the MAF, from there keep the intake as is.

Plus with the metal tubing it would be easier to get those little outward things to connect the lines onto.

Turbulence is flow dominated by recirculation, eddies, and apparent randomness. Flow in which turbulence is not exhibited is called laminar. It should be noted, however, that the presence of eddies or recirculation does not necessarily indicate turbulent flow--these phenomena may be present in laminar flow as well. Mathematically, turbulent flow is often represented via Reynolds decomposition, in which the flow is broken down into the sum of a steady component and a perturbation component.

The amount of air sucked by an I.C. engine is one of the main factors in defining the combustion efficiency, power output and volumetric efficiency Reduction in the pressure losses allows more air to enter inside the engine for the same amount of compressor work. It results in better volumetric efficiency.

Intake write up....

http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isupage/tech/intake.html

Great EGR explanation...

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6851415-description.html

Some strategies used in designing cold-air intakes are:

increasing the diameter of the air intake, allowing increased airflow.

smoothing the interior of the intake to reduce air resistance.

providing a more direct route to the air intake.

tuning the length of the intake to provide maximum airflow at certain engine speeds (RPM).

using a more efficient, less restricting air filter.

That empty piece of plastic is called a Helmholtz resonator. Really. And it's just empty. Actually not: It's full of air. It's attached to the ducting between your air cleaner and the intake manifold. And although it looks like it can't have any real purpose, it does. It's there to reduce the noise your engine intake duct makes. Huh? It has an interior volume with a very specific resonant frequency, like an organ pipe. Pressure pulses traveling back and forth in the duct have a resonant frequency as well. A pressure pulse whipping past the entrance to the resonator (at the speed of sound) partially enters its cavity. The pulse then bounces off the far end of the resonator, and returns back to the duct a very short time later. By now the pressure pulse has traveled a half-wavelength farther along the duct. The pressure pulse re-entering will cancel out at least part of the negative pulse at that point. The net result is reduced noise, at least at or near the resonant frequency of the resonator. Many car manufacturers use this technique to reduce intake-tract noise. Some vehicles have several of these devices in different places along the duct.