Ac Squeal

Sometimes when I start the AC on my car I hear a sharp squealing sound. After a little while or giving it alot of gas the noise goes away the rest of the drive.

Is this just a loose belt and if so how can i tighten it myself?

Its a 2.5

thanks for any help

IPB Image

Make sure your belts are in good condition first. The tension should be at 1/4 of play for every 6 inch span between 2 pulleys. Then you can buy some belt dressing like this one. Spray that on while the car is running.

IPB Image

The belts are very easy to tension, one above and one below, just screw in until you have the proper tension.

-Steven

I've always regarded hairspray as fag equipment :whistling:

Prefer WD40 which I use on my old V-belt Hiace. Stops the sound like a month with my milage. Never any belt noise in the multi-V Xedos. All my belts were replaced at 90 k km*s.

:lol:

so would be something Lat would carry then?

my car was doing this, it was the timing belt tensioner that was squealing at startup....timing belt #2 and new mazda tensioner fixed that problem $670.00 later.

To replace the belts it takes about $36 for the two belts at pep-boys and about 1 hour of work doing it for the first time. If it is the timing belt tensioner then its a completely different story. But if it only happens when he starts the AC then it cant be that.

sorry, i read it like" When I start the car, the AC belt (accessory belt) squeals...that's what happened to me, sorry, but yeah I've heard somethings about belt dressings just making it better for a while and then getting worse.

bearing squeal depending on how they are failing and the speed they turn... wheel bearings grind or growl normally as they are not high rpm, but the spindle on the AC compressor is turning quick...

Yea but from he said those bearing usually cant be found at NAPA because they only sell standard sized bearings not special ones for individual parts, so thats what we did as a trick to make it last a little longer, but there wasnt any rust in the bearing. Either way it didnt go on a car it was just an old one we took off of one of the practice engines in the shop, cleaned it up in the parts washer, sanded the contact points, diagnosed that one of the diodes was bad and put it back together.