Tonights Drive Report

Despite what people may think, I decided this was a good time to take the millenia out of its pressurized containment chamber and do some driving, I started out just before dusk, around 82 degrees, no humdity.

The car cranked a bit then fired right up, ready to leave the garage with MCE badges and more importnaly, mazdaworld.net decals (which were seen by an rx-8 and an 01-02 tu-tone L) I had forgotton what its like to draw attention from everyone you pass by, especially at gas stations, most people were probably wondering what I was measuring and adding to the tank (fuel stablizer) but it was soo clean, even by my standards.

then I set off, very gentle for about 15 miles, everything up to temp, including brakes which I believe I need to flush. Then the fun part, I decided to attend a quick jeep meet and greet, this required a 40 mile round trip on the parkway and thats where the fun began

a yellow sport bike, and a 5.7 hemi grand cherokee seemed eager to catch me, so I put my foot down and god damn it, when you do that in a millenia you don't need drugs. the Jeep sadly couldn't even begin to keep uo, but by now it was getting dark, around 74 degrees and zero humdity, perfect Millenia weather, the sport bike and I went up to about 115 before hitting traffic AND I WON!!! we weaved in and out of traffic for a few miles at 90-100, oh the joy of driving a millenia

then we stopped at a light with a red m3, some douch who bought it used and thought he was hot shit, anyway the guy on the bike was really cool, it was only a 500cc and he said he wasn't comfortable punching it just yet, so I half beat him I guess but oh what fun it was. Then the best part, he asked me what mods I had done, he said when we was behind me the exhaust sounded great at full throttle, but when he was almost along side me he said, and I quote "man what of supercharger did you put in that, it was deafening, I could barely even hear my own bike"

if I had the abilty to cry that might have been the moment.

As for everything else, great, adjusting some tire PSI, my only real concern is I used the tilt steering wheel for the first time in a while and it has a bit of a sqweak when starting out, is there anyway to lube this without taking everything apart?

indeed it was

sadly getting the millenia back in the capsule was a nightmare, and just to be sure I will now quik supreme detail the paint

the problem is the capsule top gets extremely dirty, everything that would be on the car, if I just roll it then it would get the inside dirty, since it rests on the paint when first being installed I can't have it dirty in the least.

I have to fold it in half, then roll, but this is much easier said then done

if you dont use the tilt often (i turn it on and off a few times a year) it will hesitate for a split second the first time you use it in a while, not sure if the scweek you heard was just the hesitation in that high pitch buzzing noise the tilt motor makes

chi - considering how little the car is driven, and that its not on all the time I would say it gets used maybe 10 times a year, when ti was a daily driver I never used it.

Upon returning to the garage I tested it, when you insert a key and its going down you can hear a high pitched sqweak and doesn't sound as smooth, when going up it seems fine.

oh the other thing, I ran my finger behind the cover underneath the steering colum and there was a bit of clear oil/grease on it. I'v never taken it apart or seen one open so I'm not sure if it just leaks or is retarded.

umm no lat, it doesn't, yours is just bad, mine only started doing it the other night, and it certainly never did it before, from day one it was smooth.

I do still need to figure out exactly whats causing the window squeal, but ill wait until I have to take the door apart to replace the speaker....if I ever find a replacement.

where is the 3rd screw to access motor?

steve, excellent pictures

I guess I just need ot grease the main shaft a bit.

although I have discovered something else which I'm rather livid about, I'm not sure if it was the prolonged high speed driving or what, but before I started the car I had the trickle charger on it just in case, I also wiped down the engine a bit asd I always do.

last night as I was checking oil and transmission fluids I noticed about 2-3 drops of oil on top of my alternator....I have to assume they came from the valve covers in the corner where lots of oil can pool. everywhere else they seem to be fine.

I cleaned it of course, but im not in favor of driving a car where oil can leak onto an electrical source....hmm, to attempt to change the gasket myself, or not to do it myself....

according to some its a common problem on mazda engines....which oddly pisses me off more

I had test driven a few higher mileage millenia's with this problem, if it was a matter of removing things to get to them I would do it myself, but the electronics removing, massive amounts of piping, and what worries me, many more gaskets and seals will probably cause me to forgo this.

mts valve adjustment guide requires 41 gaskets, I should be able to just get 2 new VCG's and hav to spend alot of time with a socket wrench. Looking at some pictures of the block its really poor design, its only leaking where there is a cup for some reason that can only serve the purpose of oil pooling.

I'm actually far more concerned about oil dripping onto the alternator and sparking into flames then anything else.