Seafoaming Deep Creep On Milly S

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any gasoline (not ethanol or other fuels, strictly gasoline) above 100) octane is leaded. Octane is a ratio of octane vs. septane, therefor 94 octane is 94% octane, 6% septane, and as such is impossible to make 110% octane. The lead makes up the difference. So yes, all av.gas in all countries is leaded.

And no Lat, there is no unleaded av.gas, and even the gas at tracks that is above 100 octane is leaded, it's meant for muscle/performance cars that can burn leaded gas.

Burning regular when the owner's manual specifies premium won't void the warranty, nor damage the engine, even the most finicky automakers say. "You're giving up perhaps just a little bit of performance that a customer wouldn't really even notice, it's so slight," says Furey.

All Porsche engines are designed for premium, too, but it's not available everywhere. "Our cars must be able to drive all over the world, and so we are able to run on regular," says Jakob Neusser, director of powertrain development at Porsche's research and development center in Weissach, Germany. "You don't have to feel that a mechanical problem or anything else will happen" using regular gas, even in the highest-performance, regular-production Porsches.

Premium, in fact, sometimes is worse fuel than regular. It resists knock because it's harder to ignite than lower-octane fuels. As a result, some engines won't start as quickly or run as smoothly on premium, notes Gibbs, the SAE fuel expert.

High-test does have a potential fuel economy benefit. It is slightly denser than lower-octane gas, meaning there's a little more energy in a gallon. But the small difference is hard to measure in real-world use, and that same density can contribute to undesirable buildup of waste products inside the engine.

No data show that engines designed strictly for regular run better or longer on premium.

The Federal Trade Commission, in a consumer notice, emphasizes: "(I)n most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner."

There is "no way of taking advantage of premium in a regular-grade car," says Furey.

"There is no gain. You're wasting money," insists Jim Blenkarn, in charge of powertrains at Nissan in the USA.

"No customer should ever be deluded into thinking there's any value in buying a higher grade of octane than we specify," says Toyota's Paul Williamsen, technical expert and trainer.

Mazor: "All this does is do a very good job of draining your wallet. People used to put in a tank of premium to get 'the good stuff' to help their engines stay clean. But now they put detergents in all grades so it doesn't really get you anything."

Forgot to mention...good FUCKING POST MTS!!! So many good statements in that post. Seems a little familiar though :noidea:

And BHR, you asked why car companies would recommend higher octane gas since it would only hurt them, well like Chrysler did, they get that little bit more power out of them which they advertise the power gain, the octane recommendation is the fine print. No car company in history has ever advertised that their cars require high octane fuel, they just advertise the result of running the high octane fuel. They hope that people are sheep and don't notice the fine print. Not to mention, 15 years ago when the milly was developed gas was cheap and the price difference was neglegable so they could advertise the 210hp and people would buy it, instead of advertising only 204hp on regular. As for cost/performance, it would cost me over $300/year to run premium rather than regular, headers for my car are only $150. Since regular and headers makes more power than premium, then it's actually a financial downgrade for me to run premium. Over the course of 10 years, the difference in gas could pay for a full on turbo kit.

Again, advertising power is only hurting business right now

Some members on JU with not perfect, but average to above average are reporting dealerships being unable to finance high horsepower cars or anything with V8. I could see your arguement working in the 70's or whenever it was they outlawed leaded gas for street cars

:hmm:

mts i think you may be correct however, since ive put midgrade, it only gets moderately warm while in traffic instead of going to about 80% hot like it used to...

What are you talking about, engine? If that you have more serious problem than octane..

I had the damn coolant flush done last year, all fluids are changed every november and the oil is changed every 3k if even less, so its not neglected.

after 10-15 minutes in traffic with the AC on the temp gauge used to climb to 80% hot and then I suppose the fan would speed up and it would cool off. I need to check the fan motor and oil it or something...

Both fan motors are electric, aka NO OIL. And your problem may be the thermostat is sticking closed, and only when your waterpump is spinning fast enough it creates enough pressure to force the stat open.

And leaded gas was banned in Canada in 1991 I believe, in the States maybe 4 years later.

I thought leaded gas was banned in the 70's, or atleast cars using it were outlawed to be built after a certain year, I still lead additive in a few stores though.

Lat - despite the fact you might as well be running water with a hint of cooking oil through your car instead of crap gas, you need to check your cooling system, waterpump, thermostat, and check the coolant color just to be sure.

My millenia, even when cruising at 100+ mph for extended periods (like MWM07) it never goes above 50%, and generally it stays around 40-45% since I never really use the a/c

You could also try royal purples wetter water, works great in all my cars

Royal Purple doesn't make Water Wetter, Redline does. The fans are actually two speed, and come on independantly of each other. The only time the condensor fan comes on is when the a/c is on, or the engine is getting dangerously hot. A quick fix solution is to disconnect the water temp sensor (2-wire). This forces both fans on at high speed as a default since the pcm doesn't know the temp and goes into safe mode. You will use more gas by doing this and is just a quick fix (stuck in middle of nowhere). Be sure not to disconnect the 1-wire coolant sensor, that one's used for the instrument cluster.

BHR, leaded gas was readily available at all gas stations until the early 90's. Even later in the States, it wouldn't surprise me if there's still some hillbilly states that sell it.

Never once saw it, but most cars even in the 80's didn't take it, I can't think of any car even my parents had that required, or took leaded gas, but then again my dad also had alfa's and mgb's

saint - your suppose to change your thermostat with the waterpump, but iv never hearded of anyone doing it with a coolant flush, I do mine every other year and the labor would be quite costly on the millenia

wetter water, purple ice, all the same thing.