Low Beams not working...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were the fuse blown? I agree with Trout, check the relay without starting the engine, just switching on the ignition with the light switch on should make you able to detect if the relay is kicking in, but there are several doing the same, find which one and put a finger on it while someone else is turning on the ignition.

Personally I'd suspect a virus spread from other vehichles in the driveway ;)

I can look into the location this afternoon. Though there are some 12 degrees C below Zero as we speak...

Actually popping out and back in all the relays under the left side fuse cover might be a good start, a bad connection could be the cause. Even quite likely, bad connections are responsible for a huge part of all electrical trouble. Electrones missing their goal, see.

And yes, I couldn't resist :blush:

:hmm: i have a similar problem with the fogs. but only one turns on. could be the bulb havent checked :P

Could be a dirty ground wire....

dallas, it sounds like either the relay or fuse,if you have put in some higher wattage bulbs lately you may simply need to up the amp rating on the fuse, if it blew again.

if the fuse blows I think nothing but the highbeams will work, no markers, no fogs etc

High wattage bulbs are know to melt the plugs off the back... Mazda uses the cheapest plugs available.

Flip off the fuse cover in the engine compartment. The headlight relay should be the third on the second row of relays, counting from left to right, and rear to forward. It should be green. Try to take it out and check for corroded or melted connections. Put it back in and ask someone to turn the ignition on while holding a finger on it, should be possible to spot if it is working or not. Another good'ol trick is to try to switch two similar relays, to see if you get another item not working. For instance relay no 6 on the first row, rear window defroster. If they are similar connectors that is. Sorry, too cold to dig deep into the issue on my car tonight :dry: