The Problem Is Back!!!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last time i went my mech. did a test and there was no vac leaks. But i had code 1540 which i hear may be cause by a vac. leak. I think im just gonna try replacing all the hoses. Replacing the 3 solenoids and the vent, i have heard that also has fixed the problem...I just wanna drive it to it's full potential :(

I originally came upo with this system for something on my Jeep, but it would seem to apply more here

Go to office depot or where ever and buy a large bag of the small multi-colored rubber bands. When removing any vacuum line or hose just slip a band on, and a matching band to its connection. If you run out of colors do the same as wiring, 1red 1 white to 1red 1 white, with the number of combinations possible everything will be nicely color corrodinated and there wil be no issue of what goes where.

Avoid stickers as they can fall off :mad: certain markers work, but rubber bands are the best I'v found.

I used colored electrical tape when I did mine. Same idea, and it worked very well, especially if you decide to take some time away from it you won't forget what goes where. I also had a couple of small magnetic top jars and put the nuts and bolts in there when I removed them, so at the end you have all your parts and you know right away if you forgot to put something back.

It's not a hard job if you go into it knowing what needs to be done and how to organize everything, it just takes a while. If you decide to try it yourself, I can tell you roughly the steps and tools I used to do mine.

I originally came upo with this system for something on my Jeep, but it would seem to apply more here

Go to office depot or where ever and buy a large bag of the small multi-colored rubber bands. When removing any vacuum line or hose just slip a band on, and a matching band to its connection. If you run out of colors do the same as wiring, 1red 1 white to 1red 1 white, with the number of combinations possible everything will be nicely color corrodinated and there wil be no issue of what goes where.

Avoid stickers as they can fall off :mad: certain markers work, but rubber bands are the best I'v found.

I am impressed. An excellent idea

• 1 month later...

Well, i never did any of the things i said i was going to do...the problem still happens more and more. 4 times yesterday!!!! I Can't fucking find all those hoses, im sorry im not good with this shit. There's so much shit in the way. How did you change all those hoses, there's noway you got in there like that with all of that shit in the way!!! And if i wanna try the ohmmeter/multiplier where and how do i hook it up?!? And where exactly is the ABV vent?!? There are NO leaks.

Find the Charge Air Cooler Bypass Actuator, it is located next to the s/c door under the "Miller Cycle" cover. You can see what it looks like it in the diagram. It will have a single vacuum line out the back, trace it to the other end and you will find the solenoids you are looking for.

From right to left when looking down at the engine you will find:

The CAC Bypass Solenoid Valve

ABV Solenoid Valve (Vent)

Air Filter

ABV Solenoid Valve (Vacuum)

You will need a multimeter to measure the resistance (Ohms) across the solenoids. If you don't already have one, you can get a cheap one at walmart for $10-$15.

You will need to select the ohms measurement which will have a symbol that looks like this:

IPB Image

Now you will need to unplug one of the solenoids and put one end of the meter on one pin (on the solenoid not the wire), and one on the other pin - it doesn't matter which one. Write down the resistance and check to see if it is within the correct range (I think the values are in an earlier post on this topic)

You may need to remove some things to get enough access to take the readings. Take out the battery and the battery tray,all you need is a 10mm socket, and it will give you more room to look around. A 10, 12 and 14mm socket can take appart a large portion of the engine. You might also need to remove the rear intercooler if it is in the way. I have a guide for this if you don't know how.

You can also use either colored electrical tape or masking tape with numbers to label the electrical plugs on the solenoids in the back and pull those out of the way too if you find that you still don't have enough room. Hopefully this will get you started.

With those two... you have a vacuum leak as earlier reported OR the ABV (vent) SOLENOID is bad. And yes the vacuum hoses are a nightmare NUT if you are patient and follow the advice that has been given you will conquer this.

Street the picture tells nothing. You have the colored diagram right? you can easily find the 4 solenoids (one is filter as mentioned). You donot need to remove anything. I guess you can measure the resistance just by disconnecting it. There is enough room IIRC.

They are hung on a metal, what you should do is to push the hanger from below the solenoid to the front and pull the solenoid up. I know its a pain if you dont know the mechanism but it is not very hard either. Look at the MAP solenoid, same thing for the others.