Focusing Headlights

Of course there is. Park the car, full tank of gas but no load, on level ground against a wall, about 5 metres away. They're supposed to point downwards 1,2% or something, there is a label in the engine compartment. This equals something like 50- 60 metres of the road enlightened. They should both point straight ahead, which means the distance between the cutoff angle should equal the distance between the centre of the lowbeams. They're also supposed to be exactly the same height. Once you hit the road again, see to it the distance enlightened looks good. If you stop say 20 metres (60 feet) behind a car your lights should reach like to the height of his bumper but not to his rear lights (regular sedan) if you're unloaded. Good luck!

saint - there is no way to do what you want, most likely the lense is dirty, other then that no, there is no focusinng...in any projector in the world, infact the way you think of it wouldn't even apply, moving the lense forward or backward with the use of washes changing color along the cutoff, doesn't make it sharper.

The brackets lost the little square thing that goes there so the projector just hangs there and aims downward.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I gotta take a day off and just sit down with the healight and figure out how to get it just right so I can still aim it while on the car and the projector wont hang.

remove any and all clips holding lense in place and anything elese like dust caps etc

place on a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, pre-heat over to 350 degrees, bake for 6 minutes

remove the housings with gloves or potholders, havea flatr head screw driver ready and go around the sides inbetween lense and housings, best thing to do is go around alittle bit then get a corner, once thats good then work your way around , once you get the sides adn 1 top or bottom off just twist the rest off, you'll see.

work fast, and don't push down on the housing plastic 2 hard.

2 reseal DO NOT add sealant, it will cause alot of problems and never fit right ,simply reheat housing and lense for 3 minutes, then push together, snapping the clips back on going around, once it cools it will be watertight again.

Taking it out is PITA, i am glad i didnt break the bumper. 00-02 head lights have sharper edge on the grill side, which makes it hella hard to take out and putting back. Removing the sealant is hard but once you have the headlight in your hands it is not impossible. I used a very high temperature dryer (something like a hair dryer but it will melt your skin if used to dry hair). I have more photos if you decided to take it out. Personlly i will not touch that headlight again..

Im also going to see if I can find you that dustcap your missing. When I get another headlight ill give you the one off mine. Ive taken the healight off the car several times. Actually Ive stripped the whole front end of the car. Once you get the car like this, its easy.

IPB Image

-Steven

Oh i see what you mean, if you remove the bumper yes it should be like taking the hair out from butter. I would appreciate a dust cap :)

Actually one other thing is the third bolt that is accessible from mud guard. On mine it was so rusted that it doesnt come out, so the headlight is not so solid in there now. Whatever i did to that beast i couldnt even break it.

woah woah woah...there is ZERO reason to pull off the front bumper for the headlights, infact I strongly advise against it as it makes it harder to get them back in, all you have to do is remove the grill, and to do it properly the inner fender to get to a single bolt, once all bolts are out you take a long screw driver, place inbetween frame and headlights with the inner most bolt, pry it out slowly but firmly and it comes right out.

I personally cut the support tab for the bolt in the fender well, its not needed and makes for removal in the future much easier.

you MUST use some sort of dustcaps, even more important with projectors. If you can't find them take some duct tape and cover the openings.

I had to take the bumper off anyways cause I was switching to a new bumper, I wont do it again though it was a PITA. It is possible to take the headlights off but you gotta be really careful and patient or you could crack the paint since one of the tabs on the healights is really behind the bumper.

IPB Image

New bumper old bumper.

-Steven