Leds

ChiTown

What are the best LED's for the gauge cluster? And what size?

Just bought these two for my brother. Mazda keeps saying they are a tad tall and touches to the cluster so idk. You need 3:

IPB Image

And you need one 74. I got this one:

IPB Image

The problem with this one is none of them is bright enough. This one looks pretty good, we will see..

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have LED's in my gauge cluster

5-led matrix style, size 194, you need 3 of them, and also 2 #74 bulbs, I used the single led bulbs but others have used different styles, mine work fine and its a DAMN nice difference, the stock lighting looks so dirty and crappy compared to the chrisp LED, mine were installed at MWM05 during the day and come night everyone was amazed

#74's for some reason don't last that long, but it depends on where they are.

In the millenia I had 1 #74 die after about 2 years

in my Jeep which used all #74's I have had 1 go out 3 times from the same socket, but the other led's are going past 2 years with no problems. Something with resistance or placement

What are the best LED's for the gauge cluster? And what size?

Just bought these two for my brother. Mazda keeps saying they are a tad tall and touches to the cluster so idk. You need 3:

IPB Image

And you need one 74. I got this one:

IPB Image

The problem with this one is none of them is bright enough. This one looks pretty good, we will see..

Result:

IPB Image

right corner is still dim. He is happy with them though..

194 5-led matrix, nothing special

single #74 inverted lense - no light directly out front, mostly all out sides

Mine don't seem quite as bright as yours, but it might be the camera, what I notice on yours is that the 1 needle is hella bright

This is the only real pic I could find, not as bright, but even, I have replaced the #74 once.

IPB Image

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to get through 25 pages of this topic, especially if english is not native language :)

Guys, what LEDs you can recommend for 2001 millenia.

To start I think about plug and play LEDs for change my bulbs in:

1. 194 Front parking (white) and sidemarker (amber) lights

License plate (white)

2. 1156A Front turn signal (amber)

3. 7443 Tail/stop light 7443 (red)

4. 7440 Rear turn signal (amber)

5. 921 Back up light (white)

I don't want to buy very expensive LEDs and at the same time I don't need cheap crap :)

What LEDs you prefer? And where to get it with better price and international shipping? Ebay??

sandro - You'll basically want the same setup as me, but alot depends on what your consider "cheap" to be, unconditionally you must use the "tower" design bulbs, these are the only ones that light up the entire housing.

for the record, I purchase all my LED's from www.superlumination.com

I would avoid doing the front turn signals, its look weird and requires balancing resistors when doing everything else, 194 marker lights are ok even though I don't use them

To sum up

any 194 bulb(front marker, license plate, interior doors, trunk - 194 5-led matrix bulb

7443 stop - go with a RED

7440 turn - you can go with amber, or red, I went with red since its a bit more upscale in a clear housing...and apparently bmw agreed since they copied me 3 years later

for both 7443 and 7440 go with the "SMT tower"

for the reverse I warn you, even going with a high power tower it doesn't generate alot of light, and in bright daylight really can't even be seen

You will also need a load resistor on each turn signal to prevent hyper flash, AND if you do all the brake lights you will need a resistor on 1 of the brake lights to keep your cruise control working

For more information, here is a guide

http://www.mazdaworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1487

www.superlumination.com much better sight

you need THREE 194 bulbs, "5-led matrix" work best

you will also need a SINGLE #74 led

avoid color changing led's...

Thanks BHR, im gonna hunt for those in Europe. superilumination seems better but customs might hold them for quite a bit here.

I want to order LED's for my gauge cluster but, looking at saints picture using the 3 #194 5LEDMatrix and that 1 #74 2LED Flux, it doesnt look that good, the thing that pisses me off the most is how much one needle is so much brighter than the other and how the temp gauge is so dim on the lower corner.

Does anyone have a different setup than Saints pic that lights it up evenly everywhere???