In Response To Ren

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to avoid AC in city since it is very inefficient when going slow. But in a hot summer i dont care. Windows down all the dust gets in. When i first bought the car i never roll down the windows for this reason, passanger control was always locked. Besides rolling down dirty windows is insane if you are picky. Then i realized in US we dont have too much dust and start rolling them down..

Transparent uv windshield tint all the way.

And ren how the hell you see through the car ahead. It is only possible in day light with proper height and type (sedan). Besides i dont know about Canada but in US the lanes are hella wide. I travel to leftmost or rightmost if i wanna see ahead..

I hate those of who gets in front of you decreasing the distance. Heck i dont wanna brake while cruising at 60-70 mph every minute like those idiots thats why i keep distance..

Thank you Saint.

Always :D

because I hate the A/C

I find it to be extremely dirty in a car, just sitting in a tiny area with the same air and blowing in filtered air, I go windows down all the time with open air, much better for you anyway

Did you fit an aftermarket filter then?

On the Xedos I have an option of choosing recirculation or fresh air, and I always use the fresh air position part from long tunnel driving. Resirculation position is dangerous to use on long distances.

Open windows will cause more dust, more noise, more fuel consumption than running the AC, give me one good reason to prefer open windows. I run the AC in economy mode when needed, but I try to remember shutting off the compressor a while before arrival to allow the system to dry out.

Xedie, whilst I agree with what you are saying and rarely roll the windows down, I think you'll find that a/c (as distinguished from normal ventilation with a/c off) is only more fuel efficient than windows-down above around 80 km/h.

I think he meant so. AC will always consume more IMO. Even if you roll window(s) down, you just disturb the air flow, you dont increase the effective area. And above certain speed (say 100-120 km/h) who would roll windows down except Bhr? Imagine you travel 5 hrs on hw windows down..

I always open sunroof and roll either rear window a lil down. Passenger side if i want the air on my head, driver side if i want air from pass side. Actually sunroof+rear driver side gives very pleasant air flow.

My AC is still not very cold like an acura or others. I dump 18oz of refrigerant last summer (total 26oz), and dont wanna put more.. Xedos refrigerant is different than NA refrigerant i guess. EU one is better...

There has been tests regarding this issue, and they concluded with AC being more fuel efficient than open windows, due to increase in drag. Which speed the curves cross each other will probably differ between cars. Obviously AC will use more around town, say sub 40 mph.

And just for the record, Millenia before 01 has no pollen filter, which is why I wondered where BHR's filtered air comes from. I can however confirm that the 01 onwards Millenia pollen filter fits my 00 Xedos, and probably also older Xedos models.

My filter looked like this:

[attachmentid=1027]

P3150064b.jpg

I believe the Myth Busters sums up the issue nicely:

AC vs. Windows Down

Adam and Jamie tackle not so much a myth as what they call an "urban puzzle". The debate arises because both methods of cooling influence a car's fuel efficiency—air conditioning requires a lot of power to run, but at the same time, open windows create drag.

* Revisited in MythBusters Revisited, Season 3, episode 38

Myth statement:

Running a car with air conditioning on is more fuel efficient than running with the windows down.

Partly Busted

Notes:

Tests were performed under varying conditions (55 mph versus 45 mph). Also, the 55 mph test was using a computer to estimate fuel efficiency based on air intake, not actual fuel consumption, and showed A/C was more efficient. The 45 mph test consisted of running the tank until it was empty, and showed open windows were more efficient. This experiment--or one like it--is sometimes cited by the Magliozzi Brothers on Car Talk when presented with this question.

Wiki LINK

AC vs. Windows Down, Revisited, Season 3, episode 38

Myth statement:

Running a car with air conditioning on is more fuel efficient than running with the windows down. (From AC vs. Windows Down)

Partly Re-Busted/Partly Confirmed

Notes:

The fundamental flaw in the MythBusters' test was that the point where the drag becomes powerful enough to inhibit a car's performance with windows down was inside their 45–55mph margin at 50mph. Going less than 50mph it is more efficient to leave your windows down, but going greater than 50mph it is more efficient to use your A/C. Since then, this particular bit of knowledge has been used frequently on Car Talk.

Wiki LINK