Mce Gauges Installed...not As I Was Hoping For

So after an excellent find and fast shipping from task I came to be the owner of s set of gauges bearing the Miller-Cycle Engine tach.

There were some slight differences in the clusters, but I have been present with 2 problems, 1 of which might require me to abandon the project.

First and foremost is the coloring, I didn't take any before pics under light so this was the only comparison pic I could find on my computer with the LED's, its a much darker red, where as the MCE tach seems to have been using a bulb running 2 hot and part of the film is gone. Daytime its fine, at night it seems alittle orane, but not as bad as the pic.

More troubling is the tach operation itself, I used the exact method used by many before of removing the needles with pillars and never prying, the pin is straight and true but it doesn't spin as freely by hand, more troubling is that in the pic its reading around 500rpms....yet the car is not running, and the needle won't back drop down. Upon taking apart the old tach I found its basically a conductor, and I assume through very careful voltage regulation it applies a current that pulls/holds the needle at a certain point, but I can't figure out exactly how, and if so, does it pull it back down, because its not looking good.

Is there a way to calibrate the gauges? On most cars when you plug in the cluster it goes and then comes back to stop, didn't do that on mine. If I can never get the rpm's below that point, let alone if they go up when driving and don't drop back down...well thats a problem.

I will admit the gauges look badass though.

[attachmentid=1118][attachmentid=1122]

[attachmentid=1120][attachmentid=1121]

guage1.jpg

SSPX0024.JPG

SSPX0020.JPG

guage2.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, and before anyone suggests it, NO I'm not going to start it up and drive it around to see, that would be stupid, especially considering weather, road conditions, time of year, and that I would have to prep all over again for storage.

Coward...

doesn't work like that.. I pulled it out when it was at rest and but it back on at rest as well

but the needles are free, if you lift them up they'll just fall back down, now the tach still falls but not all the way.

Also, cuto, seriously cut out the driving shit because its getting old, I just recently posted the much more deeper reasons for it

and on the surface, it would take atleast an hour to re-prep it for winter storage, and thats after I took it out of the capsule and exposed to elements, which given the weather and salt would cost me another 8-10 hours of cleaning.

Now, something else interesting that makes me think its a calibration issue. if I turn the key to run but not start the tach jumps up, and holds at around 2k and the CEL is on.

and yes, in retrospec I should have just taken the whole damn cluster apart and moved as a unit.

I didn't, I pulled it out, and put it back in, both at rest against the needle, removing it did something, and I don't know what.

I'm not 100% sure how it even works, the needle itseld has a small counter weight so its balanced, connected to a straight pin which sits inside a plastic...thing, which is solid in place, that is wrapped with copper coil, so it clearly is electromagnetic in someway, but it shouldn't hold the needle, and when I put power to the gauges it moves it up...so I'm at a loss, will have to drive it and see how it works.

for future reference, I did the EXACT same thing with the speedo in order to ship lat the kph cover if he wants it, put the needle back in the same way and its perfectly fine, turns smoothly, falls back to 0.

damn... so how did you swap the tachs exactly? which instruction was it?

did you transfer the actual rpm tach only or just the face plate?

did you touch the needle? turned it by hand? did the needle moved smoothly or it was like steppings. does the needle goes back to zero or stays where you leave it?

if the needle goes back to zero when you leave it, your rpm tach is analog. if it moves in stepping and stays where you leave it, your tach is digital.

because the needle is very fragile and a precise instrument, you shouldn't touch it at all. As far as I know, only digital tachs have reseting feature. ie, once turned on, the needle does a full range swipe.

no, I'v spin the needle all the way around, I'v done this on multiply cars, including my millenia when I had the cover off before doing leds, never a problem, just don't do it with power going to it.

I just pulled the needles off, unscrewed the plates and swapped, it was only then that I saw I could have taken it all out as a unit and swapped, which I wish I had done.

needle has some resistance compared to speedo, but I pulled speedo off as well, and it falls back to zero as it should.

I always thought that when power was applied being at stop told the thing where it was and it knew how far to go. I'll see what happens when I drive the car though, there has to be something that pulls it back down though, I mean otherwise when you want to say 5500rpms it would just fall back down. I do know your never suppose to move the fuel gauge needle on the millenia for some reason which I did not..

I think I'm going to try and drive it (in march) with the cover off, and make sure the needle is resting at 0 when the car is started.

even if I got a new tach, I don't know how I could transfer the plate without removing the needle. The chances of finding another MCE tach are pretty much zero

no, I'v spin the needle all the way around, I'v done this on multiply cars, including my millenia when I had the cover off before doing leds, never a problem, just don't do it with power going to it.

I just pulled the needles off, unscrewed the plates and swapped, it was only then that I saw I could have taken it all out as a unit and swapped, which I wish I had done.

needle has some resistance compared to speedo, but I pulled speedo off as well, and it falls back to zero as it should.

I always thought that when power was applied being at stop told the thing where it was and it knew how far to go. I'll see what happens when I drive the car though, there has to be something that pulls it back down though, I mean otherwise when you want to say 5500rpms it would just fall back down. I do know your never suppose to move the fuel gauge needle on the millenia for some reason which I did not..

I think I'm going to try and drive it (in march) with the cover off, and make sure the needle is resting at 0 when the car is started.

even if I got a new tach, I don't know how I could transfer the plate without removing the needle. The chances of finding another MCE tach are pretty much zero

No you shouldn't spin the needle by hand! you probably damaged the coiled spring that returns the needle to zero. This tach is not digital.. You can only play with the needle on digital tachs.

That's why I suggested you to replace the whole left side rpm dial in the first place and not play with the needle.

Now what you can do is take the rpm dial/needle from the other cluster... if it is still good... :huh:

task - like I said, I'v spun the needles around before, infact when you remove the cluster the needles fall with gravity anyway, hell when I got the new cluster in the box the needles had spun around and were just resting at the bottom below the stop, its perfectly fine and I'v done it before.

this problem started right after removing and replacing needle.

actually steve no, if I had swapped the entire cluster, to kmph then yes, I just swap tach gauge plates. I drive a miller-cycle engine millenia, lat does not own a eunos 800

no snow here.

also, there is no spring system in the speed and tach, temp and fuel it seems so, but I took the tach apart down to every single part, no spring, its free spinning with a counter weight balance.

I'm going to try and GENTLY hold the spring in place while turning key to run, but not start, maybe that will help it calibrate or something, then in march whe nI fire up we'll see.