First Xedos 9 Mce (or Milly) Running On Lpg

cuto

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True.

Because LPG is highly popular in Australia I should add, a litre of LPG costs about 50 cents compared to $1.20 for petrol. LPG vehicles of course use more fuel, but the end result is still that a large car like a Ford Falcon costs significantly less in fuel than a 4 cylinder economy car.

Far more significant is that LPG if done right actually boosts performance.

Far more significant is that LPG if done right actually boosts performance.

How does it boost performance? It has less energy content than gasoline.

LPG has a significantly higher octane rating than petrol, meaning if you set your engine up correctly to take advantage of it, you can get more power. This would typically involve being able to run more advance, or more boost in a forced induction engine.

However, LPG has a lower calorific value per unit volume, meaning you get a lower MPG, comparatively.

HOWEVER,

The new LPG systems based on liquid injection rather than vaporised LPG means:

"Being cooler than petrol, liquid gas provides more volumetric efficiency in the cylinder and a denser charge - and this fuller combustion translates into more power.

"For most vehicles it produces two to three more kilowatts of power, but much more is possible."

This would be the best solution for my Xedos, the MCE and Liquid injection would be like bread an butter. Alas...liquid injection is forbidden in Portugal....for now.

All have pros and cons so in a sense none is 'better'; the reason I am not converting to LPG any time soon is that the cost would be tremendous, especially if I actually rebuilt the engine to be optimised for LPG.

It is commonplace here to have 'dual fuel' cars that run on LPG or petrol at the flick of a switch. I personally dislike this immensely, as it means the engine tune is nothing but a compromise on all levels.

All have pros and cons so in a sense none is 'better'; the reason I am not converting to LPG any time soon is that the cost would be tremendous, especially if I actually rebuilt the engine to be optimised for LPG.

It is commonplace here to have 'dual fuel' cars that run on LPG or petrol at the flick of a switch. I personally dislike this immensely, as it means the engine tune is nothing but a compromise on all levels.

I think newer systems (sequential or something) eliminates that switch. The car starts with gas and converts to LPG when warmed. I remember I got my driver license on an LPG car :) Renault, what a shitty car..

All the new systems start on Petrol and switch automatically to LPG. You can always use the switch to go back on petrol/or/and/LPG.

Besides: NO loss on tuning the engine for petrol. There are 2 different ECU's . The original that will command the petrol combustion. The LPG ECU that will do it to LPG combustion. So...if you are losing some power on LPG, you can always switch to Petrol and have (when aplicable) the original bhp.

Mind you: engine stays the same. It's not the engine that adapts to LPG but the LPG ECU that will adapt to engine needs (Thats why you have to tune an LPG converted car after 2.000 miles- The LPG ECU has a learning mode that emulates engine needs on petrol. Only thing that USED to be modded on some engines was valve toughning. Nowadays soft valves are no issue, because there is a specific lub that will be added to the LPG. THE bst of these valve lub systems was invente in Portugal (LT Lubricator) and even drops the lub accordingly to engine revs. The other one is FlashLube. This was the only mechanical issue that is now solved.

This is evident when some 1 wants to chip the engine : it is always chipped before converting the car. Never after.

Liquid injection does not require valve lubrication.

Needless to say that, with no engine mods needed NO vehicle transformed to LPG loses warranty. In fact, in EU, it is possible to order almost any car with a bi-fuel setup.

It is however a risk to convert a car with very high milleage: LPG will clean all the carbon in a engine, and that may be a problem. Before trying to convert a high milleage car it is advisable to run a full compression test on the engine and check all gaskets.

Thats all.

P.S. Oh BTW, yesterday i saw a guy change engine oil after 15.000 Kms on a Audi 1.8 T. Guess what, Oil came out looking like brand new oil. Clean...very clean Oil after 15.000 Kms.

Troutman:

Ok, here's a quick view on how setting up an LPG injection is done: note that LPG injection will always try to mimic the petrol injection. This means: No change on how the car behaves when running on Petrol.

no no no, most things have pro's and con's, but between lpg and petrol there is far and away a clear choice.

now, if production, culture, COST!!!!!, and feasible changed then it would certainly be better then it is, but still much less useful then gas for all the afore mentioned reasons

but as I will state once again - because that will never happen due to the cost and frankl,y WASTE it will continue to be an extremely expensive and impractical concept.

you know in reality steam powered cars from around the turn of the century would be the best idea, I mean think about it, no pollution but steam if you used electric heaters powered by a battery as you do now, steam drives the pistons which recharges the battery as an alt does now, its actually a really good idea, clearly you can add water and power anywhere

come to think of it....I wonder why there hasn't been more put into that, based on my single stroke of genius I just killed off even the last remaining hope of lpg to even the die hard hippies.

Oh right, the draw back is we're a turn key society, we cannot be limited to planning 20-30 minutes ahead of time before we need to start moving, though I suppose with modern battery technology or a small gas engine you could use that first then use the steam

How is a generic LPG ECU supposed to control a complicated MCE?

Engine oil being clean means it doesnt keep the dirt in it, which is not good.

1- Simple: it has been done before, as i sais there is only 1 MCE running on LPG. I will try and get some pictures of the engine.

2- Oil is cleaner beacuase there is almost no carbon on it.

That is why some ppl say the maintenace cost of an LPG engine is 50% lower.

- Cars running on Atkinson Cycle (like the Prius) are converted to LPG with no problem.

-wankel engines run very well on LPG also.

you know in reality steam powered cars from around the turn of the century would be the best idea, I mean think about it, no pollution but steam if you used electric heaters powered by a battery as you do now, steam drives the pistons which recharges the battery as an alt does now, its actually a really good idea, clearly you can add water and power anywhere

Anybody with basic physics knowledge will see this is impossible, i.e. creating energy out of thin air. This is not dollar.

How is a generic LPG ECU supposed to control a complicated MCE?

Engine oil being clean means it doesnt keep the dirt in it, which is not good.

1- Simple: it has been done before, as i sais there is only 1 MCE running on LPG. I will try and get some pictures of the engine.

2- Oil is cleaner beacuase there is almost no carbon on it.

That is why some ppl say the maintenace cost of an LPG engine is 50% lower.

- Cars running on Atkinson Cycle (like the Prius) are converted to LPG with no problem.

-wankel engines run very well on LPG also.

Does the LPG ECU has control for ABV solenoids? How about CAC solenoid?

Oh the audi runs on LPG?

saint -

steam engines are actually very effective, and actually there are ways to "create energy out of thin air" but again the cost issue.

why is it you hippies have no concept of money, cost, business, or feasiblity? As I stated you would have a battery that powers a heater and or electric motors until a boiler is going, then while at speed you would need to recharge the battery via an alt

this would be horribly slow, have zero performance, and probably be very costly and unsafe, BUT its a better solution then lpg.

saint -

steam engines are actually very effective, and actually there are ways to "create energy out of thin air" but again the cost issue.

why is it you hippies have no concept of money, cost, business, or feasiblity? As I stated you would have a battery that powers a heater and or electric motors until a boiler is going, then while at speed you would need to recharge the battery via an alt

this would be horribly slow, have zero performance, and probably be very costly and unsafe, BUT its a better solution then lpg.

No no I will discuss conservation of energy with you.

saint -

Just when you are on the verge of the abyss...you proudly smell the air around you and show the courage to step forward. Damn you remind me of that game: Lemmings. Problem is, no one is EVER there to catch your fall.

Go BHR....GO ahead.

You make no sense whatsoever. In fact, i guess you can even manage to say three stupid words outta any two you spit out. Can't beat that.

BHR famous last words before he last farted: "Fuck...fart combustion by getting a hose up my ass and into combustion chamber is better than LPG".