First Xedos 9 Mce (or Milly) Running On Lpg

cuto

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't want to discuss engine efficiency with anyone claiming steam engines are efficient.

HMMM being a steam engineer.... the steam turbines were highly efficient, and the boiler plant (1959 B&W D-type) was running at relatively high thermal efficiency. Our biggest losses where water, from gland sealing, valve stem leaks, etc. We re-tubed one of our boilers after a superheater failure. Once shut down, the boiler would hold heat and pressure for almost 2 days without a fire. But we are talking 550psi and 850 F :shifty:

And in now way am I siding with BHR nor defending him, as I know he would NEVER understand Bernouilli's principles of thermodynamics.

Calculating the thermal efficiency of a boiler plant, factoring heat exchangers, pipe losses, pump curves, etc.... about a 4-7 hour mathematical calculation.... I know it was the one question final exam in Advanced Thermodynamics when I went to college. 16 pages of math, and hours of headache.

I wouldn't want to discuss engine efficiency with anyone claiming steam engines are efficient.

HMMM being a steam engineer.... the steam turbines were highly efficient, and the boiler plant (1959 B&W D-type) was running at relatively high thermal efficiency. Our biggest losses where water, from gland sealing, valve stem leaks, etc. We re-tubed one of our boilers after a superheater failure. Once shut down, the boiler would hold heat and pressure for almost 2 days without a fire. But we are talking 550psi and 850 F :shifty:

And in now way am I siding with BHR nor defending him, as I know he would NEVER understand Bernouilli's principles of thermodynamics.

I bet your plant cannot create energy by itself? Like if you feed the output energy back to input, you cannot get anything from it :)

Bernoulli, isnt he the fluidics guy?

Steam plant..... fluid flow.

Compressible flow in thermodynamics

Another useful form of the equation, suitable for use in thermodynamics, is:

IPB ImageIPB Image is the enthalpy per unit mass, which is also often written as IPB Image (not to be confused with "head" or "height").

Note that IPB Image where IPB Image is the thermodynamic energy per unit mass, also known as the specific internal energy or "sie."

The constant on the right hand side is often called the Bernoulli constant and denoted IPB Image. For steady inviscid adiabatic flow with no additional sources or sinks of energy, IPB Image is constant along any given streamline. More generally, when IPB Image may vary along streamlines, it still proves a useful parameter, related to the "head" of the fluid (see below).

When the change in IPB Image can be ignored, a very useful form of this equation is:

IPB Image where IPB Image is total enthalpy.

When shock waves are present, in a reference frame moving with a shock, many of the parameters in the Bernoulli equation suffer abrupt changes in passing through the shock. The Bernoulli parameter itself, however, remains unaffected. An exception to this rule is radiative shocks, which violate the assumptions leading to the Bernoulli equation, namely the lack of additional sinks or sources of energy

I am aware steam turbines have a fairly good efficiency, around 50%?

Now when steam engines were claimed to be efficient, I read that as reciprocating steam engine. In its simplest form I believe it has an efficiency in the region of 1, repeating one %.

That is not an overwhelming efficiency in my book.

But of course, sufficient in non driven applications :smartass:

When i said steam engine werent efficient I was speaking of the older steam powered cars. But even now our gasoline engines arent efficient.

The old recips were highly inefficient, but having worked on a couple... fun to operate. A closed steam plant can run upwards of 80% efficient thermodynamically. While ICEs are lucky to be 35%.

I have not been owned at anything, although when I look at how the world is rocketing down the spiral staircase I only have to read comments from people who believe in this garbage

now for the record I don't see steam as a good idea, the only point I was making is that its BETTER then lpg since it has none of the drawbacks that make lpg not only unrealistic but not feasible under any condition.

there was no ownage steve, and don't use the crappy internet "we don't have the space to spell"

I'm amazed how I can sit with people on a clear day and tell them the sky is blue, but they say its brown because there head is in the sand...wai those are obama supportors, well same thing

• 1 month later...

I skipped about 6 pages worth of *reading* so I don't know when exactly this thread died.

Anyhow, I'm going to switch my e46 to run a dual fuel setup with LPG. As I see it, it pays for itself in a year, then every following year I save $2000. That's a lot of mods that this will cover. Slightly used s/c kits for e46's are selling for about $2000. Much better option than any other fuel in my opinion; diesels are loud and expensive initially, not to mention you can never undo having a diesel (without selling it), CNG has too great a power loss, hybrids are like diesels, expensive, heavy, and useless. Finally gasoline, expensive. Not to mention, with LPG engines last longer because the cylinders don't get washed like they do with gas.