Damn Mechanic

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no xedos you are wrong as usual, towing does harm to everything, sucking air is bad, but mine doesn't do that, nor does it have problems with being preserved.

fuel filter would be harmed if I did not take the proper steps but I do

infact just 2 days ago the garage door broke, sure I could pull the emergency release, but why bother when the millenia can be locked away in even greater darkness

Did he buy the car used? It is hard to find out how the previous owner treated the car, and in worst case he maintained the tranny according to factory recommendations, which means no maintenance whatsoever on a Xedos.

I bought the car with 47k km on the odo, and decided on 60k flushes. Seems to work for me. And as you know, I use the car... I'm always very gentle untill she is warmed up though ;)

If you drive it right the hold button will extend the life of your transmission. Think about it instead of upshifting and downshifting all the time you can control it to minimize the amount of times it actually shift which is when the components in the transmission wear.

If you drive it right the hold button will extend the life of your transmission. Think about it instead of upshifting and downshifting all the time you can control it to minimize the amount of times it actually shift which is when the components in the transmission wear.

But you increase the heat which is not good.

Xedos, he bought the car at I think at 17k km or so. All fluids are changed at that time. All maintenances are done in Mazda and he knows all the mechanics there. So it was a well known used car. He chased the car for a year actually :) It is around 100k km now. He usually idles the car to warm up before moving it. Although I cannot say he drives gently, he has tranny cooler, changes ATF pretty often yet it died at 100k km.

The rebuild is done now and he said it cannot shift any smooter.

but then you increase engine wear, and its still more work on the trannies

transmissions don't go bad from the number of shifts but from the stress they endure while shifting and the loads they carry. Using the hold button contributes to all of this.

none the less, 2.5 trannies are known to be shit, hell half the 2.5 millenia's I see for sale have bad trannies

Who says that by using the hold button you have to shift at redline, I said if used right it would extend the life of it.

Instead of hold they should have used tiptronic or whatever mazda calls that you can pick any gear.

BHR, you have no clue, as usual. The whole idea with a Tiptronic, or Hold on Mazdish, is to give the driver possibility to choose changing points, and above all to avoid unwanted changes. In fact Mazdas Hold feature is more uncompromized, as it will allow downchanges even if it mean redline revs. A Tiptronic is programmed to avoid damage caused by the driver. Safer but not so fun, a KL sounds amazing at 7500 rpm.

Saint, my 6 is a 5 speed manual, but I get your point. I would have thought the tranny denied such early upshifts though.

BHR, you have no clue, as usual. The whole idea with a Tiptronic, or Hold on Mazdish, is to give the driver possibility to choose changing points, and above all to avoid unwanted changes. In fact Mazdas Hold feature is more uncompromized, as it will allow downchanges even if it mean redline revs. A Tiptronic is programmed to avoid damage caused by the driver. Safer but not so fun, a KL sounds amazing at 7500 rpm.

Saint, my 6 is a 5 speed manual, but I get your point. I would have thought the tranny denied such early upshifts though.

Got you. BTW that fairytale song beats everybody! Good work :thumbup1:

I agree. The hold function is pretty well refined, if you try to force a shift that will be past redline it will not allow it, but if it is before redline it will downshift. I don't use it much during daily driving, but there are times that demand a selected gear. Climbing a mountain or long steep incline without forcing the tranny into a low gear will cause much more wear than locking it in first or second. I also use it to keep it in second gear if there is a sharp bend in an on-ramp where it would normally shift to 3rd or 4th, with it still in second as I come out of the corner I can get a lot more speed going on to the highway. There are pleanty of other examples.