Damn Mechanic

and once again xedos you think you know how it works and you don't

there is only 1 perfect shift point and it changes based on speed, rpm's and load. the automatic will get it everytime, there is no reason for the hold other then to feel cold. I personally can't stand the tiptronic and hold functions, any smart company would take it out.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and once again xedos you think you know how it works and you don't

there is only 1 perfect shift point and it changes based on speed, rpm's and load. the automatic will get it everytime, there is no reason for the hold other then to feel cold. I personally can't stand the tiptronic and hold functions, any smart company would take it out.

Automatic shifting is a compromise, it tries to guess the best gear for the situation. It is perfectly fine for standard driving, but special cases require more interaction from the driver.

BHR who designed the programming for the TCM in this car, humans. IMO they did a kind of shitty job. Shift points are calculated by load rpm and speed, there is no perfect shift point. It shifts differently in different conditions.

Exactly. If it doesnt have the information of what is gonna happen in 5 secs how can it adjust the shift point. If I am in a highway enterance and need to speed up after the curve I want to keep at lower gear. There is no way a car computer can tell this. Automatic formula, I cant imagine.

so by your own logic I'M RIGHT, and YOUR WRONG

load, speed, rpm etc, which the car knows better then you and will shift differently each time to max fuel economy, performance, and tranny life. Keep in mind since the mid 90's almost ALL auto's have gotton better mpg then sti...(true sticks)

The bottom line is this, the hold was a bad idea, but the tranny and the 2.5 in general were horrible idea's for the millenia, they all go bad and aren't designed for it. The S tranny on the other hand designed for the millenia and the S never have problems

BHR: u will neve cease to awe me. Ur really a stubborn bitch! Auto trannys give way worse mpg versus manual. No wonder all new trannies tend to be DSG like...COZ HUMANS CAN SHIFT! FUCK...you just can't avoid being owned every time you open ur mouth (reminds me of a whore i use to know)...

If technology knows better than people do, then why does cruise control not keep the car at an exact speed? It doesn't know that the car is coming to an incline or decline until it is already on it. Humans can see the road ahead. Cruise control works, but when you control the throttle yourself it works better.

Exactly, you took this example out of my mouth. This is why driving with cruise control ruins milage big time, granted you aim for eco driving.

And Saint, BHR means a tranny like we have. He and I have discussed this earlier. Stubbor'n? Maybe a little :rolleyes:

I am still waiting his response to the subtle CVT transmission being better.

no no no, the CVT is utter garbage which I showed yo beyond a shadow of a doubt and everyone agrees on, thats why its only used in low power shit cars.

Something you should note, a study came out a few days ago on "why people buy hybrids"

the number 4 reason.....number 4(out of 5 choices) was gas savings, the number one reason was, and I quote "It says something about me"

ego centered bastards who don't care a dime except about hwat other people think. CVT's are garbage and will be no more then a fade, at best there an annoyance, and when they break it really is cheaper to get a new car

BHR once again you are wrong, CVT transmissions have very little moving or parts with barely any internal friction to wear anything down. This makes the cheaper.

Second they are being used right now with a 250hp v6 with no problems, audi has even used them.

Next they improve fuel efficiency becuase they car isnt accelerating and decelerating. It also has infinite gear ratios.

Yup, Audi used a steel belt CVT with their 2,8 V6 engine. Not overwhelmingly well regarded though; the theoretical low internal losses were not evident in real life. It is probably better suited for small cars where it can make a half decent performance.

Personally I don't like the way they crank the rpms way up when you drive hard. It may well be effective but sounds weird and annoying, especially with the typically unsmooth fourpot.