Transmission cooler install

Ok, I have had a hayden transmission cooler sitting around the garage for almost a year now, finally have some time. So, how exactly do you install them? for example.

do I need to cut any lines with transmission or or coolant in them? if so, where are these lines located and what is involved, I mean do I need to add more fluid in to top it off, or will it all drain out and I have to completely refill whatever.

Where and how can I mount it? I suppose in the front grill would be best, but could I place it under the engine bay or inside and just have an electric fan on it?

I'm 95% sure I have to cut a transmission line, how do I do this in a safe manner, and again, will everything drain out and me have to refill? Also, is there any affect for when I get the transmission flushed? as I plan on having done in march.

Thanks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xedosman is your expert on this. I wanted to install one as well, so a nice write up/pics would come in useful.

Dallas, I appreciate your confidence in my knowledge on this subject, I will however reject the therm expert being used on my oilcooler skills. I'm the Scorpio Expert, remember? :P

However I do know how my stock cooler is hooked up, sent you some pics as you surely will remember. It is mounted in front of the radiators, down under the bumper, in the airflow entering the bottom bumper opening. It is attached in series with the stock left side trannycooler, which uses a part of the coolant radiator. A quick look under the hood reveals the hoses attached to this cooler, which I suppose all Millenias have. An extra cooler will therefore have to be attached into this circuit, supposedly after the present cooler. A quick start after dismantling hoses will reveal the direction of coolant flow, a messy procedure... Be sure to have a bucket and a trustworthy ignition operator.

Lats recent technical info implies the whereabouts of the stock cooler, with a drawing and all. I should say this is a good plaze to start :thumbup1:

After fitment I'd suggest a tranny flush through the cooler lines, this has been described in a tranny thread I had here. Or was it in another world? Don't remember...

I do these flushes every 60000 km, the last time using Dexron III synthetic ATF, highly recommended. My tranny works perfect, inspite the towing, hold button use and all it's strained with. My latest towing adventure unfortunately implied a boggitrailer with partly frozen brakes, which I tackled with throttle, even more throttle and, correct, HOLD button. 7 km's was enough to make sure the trannycooler works, to put it that way. Not much more than hand warm though.

Are you sure? My car certainly has, added up with one in front of the radiators. Now I'm aware the front one is additional, but I really do believe all models have the left handside radiator ATF cooler, look below the coolant reservoir, and see if there are two thin hoses (way thinner than the engine coolant hoses that is) attached with banjo fittings in the upper and lower part on far left of the radiator.

Also look into this link, Lats brilliant work should be studied by anyone wanting to learn about their Milly/ Xedos/ Eunos:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c234/Fuj...lsys/img086.jpg

I guess your front bumper will have to come off to get access to the mounting area of an additional cooler, it is crazy tight in there. You will have to manufacture a bracket to secure the cooler, either transverse or from top to bottom in front of the coolers. Low left but not far left side would be my guess of the best plaze, in the area behind the lower bumper opening. I should not think a fan should be necessary, while driving there is plenty airflow.