so... whats the whole idea behind

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can wire it several ways. you can wire it to the start and battery, meaning anyone could start your car at any time, BUT, without the key the steering wheel would be locked and they would still have to get in. Mine is wired to the acc and start, so until the key hits acc its dead and does nothing. To use it you have to still insert the key and turn to "acc" then press the button. I however did not disc the start, so if I want I can turn the key to start the key as normal, if I want to use the button I just make an extra step because its cool.

Alot of people disc the start from the colum and run it to the switch, if you turn the key all the way it will just bounce back and nothing will happen. Some people use this as a valet feature and hide teh start button.

mostly it just looks cool.

IPB Image

there is an installed pic floating around somewhere

here we go, it was on my cardomain page, only difference between this and now is its actually installed so there are no wires, and I have an 01-02 chrome bezel instead of the smaller unangled 99-00 one

IPB Image

can you wire the "acc" in the column to a hidden switch under the dash which would have to be flipped before the push button start would work?

then you wouldnt need the key and you can just use the remote to get in the car...

And another thing, i NEVER let valets in my car.

chitown, you could, but then your still left with the problem of having to put the key in and turn it to unlock the steering wheel.

camel, those things have a name and its not "that thing from the movie" and I'm sure for like 100 dollars you can find one. and extremely simply and cheap technology. all your doing is typing in a code that upon being right will send an electrical charge to start the car.

Basically its the EXACT same thing as garage door openers where you have a keypad outside the house to open it if you get locked out.

I bet you could even take one from a garage door opener kit and wire it up so long as it had its own power source from the battery. I do not know if you would need an invertor for 110v power, but maybe

It can be done so you don't need keys at all, but you have to be careful when doing this. If you remove the airbag, steering wheel, dash, and lights/wipers thing you can completely remove the key cylinder which will remove the steering wheel block. At this point you can completely remove it and put the start button in it's place (though you'll have to find out how to bypass the security), or 'modify' the cylider so that it doesn't block the steering wheel.

Another benefit to push button start is that doing it gives you the option to rewire the start so that you can't start the car when it's already running, very much like a remote starter's anti-grind feature.

millenia, its very easy, I will try to find the link from the place I bought mine, it was something like 30 dollars shipped and has only a 3 wire hook up.

a main power which you connect to the acc

a starter wire you connect to the start wire next to the acc wire

and a ground wire you can ground anywhere really