Supercharger Needed

Seems there are a few spares nearby for testing.... anyway back to the topic at hand.. in a week you say? HMMM I am around next weekend between Montreal this week and Victoria the following...

I shall prep the patient! Any gaskets required (for I'd love to give the stealership more of my money) and is this the time to do some vacuum hoses? :don:

I'd rather skip that shit but if things are going to get fucked up by the very virtue of us messing around under there then....

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get about 21ft of vacuum tubing ;) 1/8" I believe, and maybe some 1/4" for the few lines that are that too... REN?

Get the vacuum hoses (whatever colour you like ;) )for sure, the gaskets are reusable, with a little high temp RTV silicone.

21' is correct, and it is 4mm or ~1/8". The steel gaskets are reusable, though there are two seals under the s/c that should be replaced their part numbers are...*checks Mazda EPC*

KJ01-13-203

KJ01-13-555

I should be around next weekend also, so I'm in. And I have two patients of my own, a 95-96, and 97+. Currently picking a fight with the 95-96. I haven't decided on the seals yet as I'm trying to think of a seal-less design so there's nothing in there to fuck up.

Well I just left Miller's patient, and she is not as bad as he thought... we pulled the cover and looked into the S/C lobes. Now there are traces of fresh oil in the corners of the housing, but nothing on the lobes. They are dry, but the signs are as Ren diagnosed, impending S/C failure. Good thing he has one on the way. As for the morons at Mazda telling him they could not pull the codes, what FUCK'N ASSHOLES. We plugged in the code reader that he has purchsed, and boom a P0421 pops up... only the one. They tried to tell him the pins were broken... DAMN I HATE MORON MECHANICS, the pins are on their tool not the female plug on the Milly, either diagnostic plug are female. :angry: Should be an easy swap out, his vacuum hoses are still nice and supple, but still would be a good idea to pick up some new hose and Ts for sure.

Well I just left Miller's patient, and she is not as bad as he thought... we pulled the cover and looked into the S/C lobes. Now there are traces of fresh oil in the corners of the housing, but nothing on the lobes. They are dry, but the signs are as Ren diagnosed, impending S/C failure. Good thing he has one on the way. As for the morons at Mazda telling him they could not pull the codes, what FUCK'N ASSHOLES. We plugged in the code reader that he has purchsed, and boom a P0421 pops up... only the one. They tried to tell him the pins were broken... DAMN I HATE MORON MECHANICS, the pins are on their tool not the female plug on the Milly, either diagnostic plug are female. :angry: Should be an easy swap out, his vacuum hoses are still nice and supple, but still would be a good idea to pick up some new hose and Ts for sure.

Yes, many thanks MTS for bringing along some brains AND brews :thumbup1:

The lighting was tricky but here's a pic that sort of illustrates what we found. Top arrow indicates just a little oil pooled along the top of the blower housing; bottom arrow indicates oil which got flung up then pooled under the cover seal. As MTS said the lobes were nice and dry, although one looks like it took a hit from somthing as there were some little chunks of teflon (or whatever that brown stuff is) missing. You can see the lobes down inside the opening there.

IPB Image

Yeah, that code story is unbelievable. I just thought, well crap I'll deal with that down the road, then we connected it for the helluvit and...wham...reads pretty as you please. It will be one of life's myserties for me. Are dealers crooked...stupid....or both? :huh2:

And just as an fyi to any that wonder about the state of their supercharger (for there have been many posts from people wondering if they have problems) it took Ren two minutes to remove the front intercooler during our first session, and MTS got into that hatch in about the same time. So, four minutes is about all it should take to settle a blown seal question. Perhaps a quick diagnostic guide is in order. I will go back and pull the intercooler to provide pics for that then write something up for you to pin MTS.

:hmm:

While I have no doubt mine is in perfect order, the ability to check on it once in awhile would be nice, as well as cleaning my intercoolers tissprings

Actually it would be great to see what yours looks like inside to get a baseline on what one should see when looking into the guts of a perfect unit....provided you discover it IS perfect... :shifty:

I have no doubt that it is, however, the ability to check it often would allow bhr to catch a problem early should it ever occur.

In the coming years he mentioned purchasing a new SC and entire working condition engine for the S so that in 20,30,50 years he have a supply of parts.

You could of course attend the MWM07 miller, see it in person.

-The Joker

20,30,50 years I have a supply of parts.

a slip of words there? im htinking of opening mine up...but do i need to torque anything down?

MTS tightened the cover in an x fashion then went around and applied a moderate tug. There are no torque values that I can see in the shop manual for the cover. The fasteners holding the Air Charging Pressure Component itself down are rated at 14-18 ft.lbs which seems high for the cover plate. Then again it is supposed to seal against whatever the max blower pressure might be.

Make sure the plastic coated metal gasket is in good nick (that is, no nicks!). Perhaps some sealant might be in order although we didn't use any this time around.

Pulled it apart again solo last night to take some pics for future posting. Dribbled a little more oil from the front cooler, cleaned what looked like a small bird carcass from the rear cooler, tacked the sponge gasket back on the rear cooler ductwork, checked inside sc again (a little more oil than last time) and pulled a coilpack to have another look at what my oozing valve cover gaskets have wrought.

It really is not difficult. My biggest headache was that middle spring clamp on the rubber cooler pipe junction. The ones on either side will clip in the open position but the middle is either missing its lock or never had one. It kept jumping out of the wrench jaws. That and I dropped a socket into some gawdawful unaccessable area down beside one of the intake manifolds. MTS knows how to deal with that, though, eh? :whistling: