My new/rescued Millenia

*Shield your eyes, its very hard to look at one in this condition, this is why I have undertaken the task of restoring its former pre-ghetto rat glory*

1997 2.5 L, 112k.

Interior is in fairly excellent condition all things considered, just needs a good cleaning, and drivers carpet has oil stains from where spark plugs were sitting.

Exterior is in good condition all things considering, just 1 problem with the door as pictured, and the window

2 flat tires, 1 wheel missing all together, another tire vastly over inflating or belts have seperated.

Car is unlocked, valve cover screws and spark plugs are sitting on floor in drivers seat, random trash, and pine smell from cheap cab air freshener thingys.

Engine bay - Valve cover is removed and set aside, plugs and wires have been removed, dipstick has some sludge on it (as expected), transmission fluid is still good in color, coolant is slightly brown, but not milky.

Based on what has been removed I assume there is a bent rod somewhere, which one the 2.5 I can fix.

My goal is to drain all fluids, period. refill all fluids, replace valve cover, plugs, plugs etc. try to turn car over with fresh fuel, run for a few minutes, add oil cleaner, then drain again, then put in truely fresh oil and new filter.

From there get an extra rim, but on some decent tires all around, rotors must be changed but I still have my old ones.

Aside from that, which will be alot of work, I can get it started, see what if any other problems it has, check for codes etc. if all checks out, put a new battery in, bhr detail the interior and exterior and I have another fully functioning millenia.

*If this does not work out, or engine has serious problems, I will simply part out the car*

Now you may be asking how I got this, especially for only 25 dollars. well, car had been abandoned for almost a year that I alone know of, I filed the paperwork to claim it, county impounded it and wanted to sell at public auction, but because it was undriveable simply assigned title to me. I just need to rent a u-haul trailer with a manually winch, slap on my millenia's spare, get it on a trailer, tow home with jeep, and set up a car tent in the yard for it.

sspx0058.jpg

sspx0059.jpg

SSPX0060.JPG

SSPX0061.JPG

SSPX0062.JPG

SSPX0063.JPG

sspx0064.jpg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, hmmm...

Shit I hope for your sake you have one impressive set of tools, and equally impressive wallet girth. Do you know what's involved in replacing a rod? Are you going to replace all the seals and bearings while you're at it? My advice, fuck rebuilding an old, dead engine and drop a KLZE in. It'll be a lot cheaper in the short and long run, it has more power, and is easier to do.

Exactly, it is a guess, and actually no, from what I can tell there not, it was more offset, but still covering them. The hood was shut completly of coruse, the only thing there seems to be some oil residue and minor sludge.

After I change all fluids, or atleast oil and coolant, put it all back on, and put new plugs and wires on, I will indeed try and start it and go from there. I do not expect to have it running in an hour, slap on new tires and be done

Why don't you toss the valve cover back on, put the plugs back, and try to start it? Guessing it's bent a rod because of a removed valve cover is just that, a guess. Maybe it just has leaky vcg's. Since the valve cover was removed, aren't the camshafts and lifters all rusty?

Bahahahaha.... you tell him Ren.

Why would I want to drop in another engine, this is not a performance project, its a restoration project. If it doesn't need to be replaced I don't want it, I want to restore its former glory.

Complete rebuild (164hp) - ~$1500 + 5 full days work

Drop in KLZE (200hp) - ~$800 + 2 days work

Why bring it to it's slow assed former glory when you can bring it to a new level of glory?

...How do you figure those prices and speed of work. Considering I might not have to remove the engine at all.

The exterior I have covered, frankly its in pretty good condition, its going to take alot of bug and tar to get that tape off that held the bag over the broken window, but other then the single door to be repainted, it should be fine. My biggest concern with exterior is the suspension, it appears to be resting on the knuckle, not the rotor