Fuel Economy For Your Eunos 800m / Millenia

I wanted to know how many miles/km's fellow members owning a Eunos 800M / Millenia got out of a tank of petrol.

I get around 400km per tank.... all city driving, of course, I don't run it to empty, and usually fill up when it's down to 1/4 of a tank, where I have travelled approx. 350km. I also find that the guage takes a while to move downwards once completely full, but moves significantly quicker when below 1/2 a tank (is this the same for everyone else).

So if I am getting 400 km a tank and the fuel tank is 68 litres my fuel economy is 17 litres / 100km.

Keep in mind my driving would be 90 - 95% city driving and 5 - 10 % country driving. However, I beleive my fuel usage is a bit high compared to its rating of 6.6 for highway and 10.5 city (according to Here) and I wanted to know what could possibly be causing this.

I wanted to know if it is possible that is an O2 sensor causing this? Because my mums car (Verada / Diamante) was using 17l/100km and as soon as we had the O2 sensor replaced it dropped down to well below 12l/100km (via the cars trip computer and the fact we were getting 100 - 150 more km out of a tank)? If this isn't a similar situation for the Millenia please let me know what else could make it use for fuel.

And before anyone potentially suggest I have a lead foot, well, I don't, I baby my milly and look treat her very well. My car constantly runs on 95 / 98 octane fuel (usually 98 octane, but the Caltex up the road from me, or any Caltex in SA don't sell 98 octane!) and I have even once gone to the effort of running 100 octane fuel, which only one petrol station I am aware of sells it, which is some 15km away.

So please help me solve my Milly's fuel consumption issue and post you fuel consumption figures in either litres per 100km or mpg and whether your car is a 2.5l or 2.3l (s).

Thanks heaps guys! :)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the highest I have ever gotton was MWM04, which was mostly the flat, straight turnpike, cruising at 80 I got 307 until the light came on.

although I rmember when I first got the car and wouldn't take it over 3000rpms for the first 3000 miles I got about 240-260 a tank doing more or less only city driving. I'm sure if I drove the millenia full time now I would get excellent mileage, or atleast better then before

Thanks for all the replys guys. So now my Eunos consumption doesn't seem heaps different then everone elses I don't feel so bad.

Is there any parts you can replace to get better economy out of your Millenia?

Tires matter a lot. It is no secret low profile tires are heavier to keep rolling than stock dimension. And there is also quite a big difference within same dimension. Keeping the tire pressure right is also important.

Part from that; low viscosity synthetic oil, keeping the car waxed and clean, windows and roof closed, avoid using the AC when not needed, but main thing, STEADY THROTTLE. Accellerate quickly up to cruising speed and allow the TCC (torque converter clutch) to engage as soon as possible. Then play the game"how far can I go without releasing the TCC again." My best shot is 33,1 MPG or 7,1 litres/ 100 km on a 630 km trip. Fully loaded.

Part from that, if milage is your main concern, you may have not have chosen the best car...

my tires are slightly wider then stock, but slightly smaller, however being a high performance tire (and not some cheap toyo) they are lighter then the stock tires, so overall net is less weight.

I run 5w-30 mobil1 oil, which helps, a clean air filter, or k&n filter and keep it clean, running the proper gas, keeping up on emissions etc.

biggest thing is the throttle. When I take mine out of the garage after a month or so I'm very very light and probably getting 25mpg, then when its properly warmed up and ready to go and it gets some exercise my mileage drops to say 15. I think the lowest I evr got was 13.8

For best mileage you should cruise around 50mph (80km/hr). This is slow for highway and fast for city, so drive accordingly. Use cruise control to engage the clutch (as mentioned). And (please) dont brake on highway unless you eagerly need to. Buy gas at night, when it is denser :) Use seafoam in gas tank to clean injectors.

Oxy sensor replacement would probably cost more than that of 0.001 mpg increase.

Warm weather, 75 to 80% city driving, mid grade gas, I get about 450 to 500 km per tank in my 2000 S.

Best run was 610km or so on an all hwy summer drive up north and back. That was running from approx 500 ft above sea level to 1500 ft. and back again.

Cold weather? yeesh. Lucky to hit 400km and I've dipped as low as 320km on a tank.

Right now with one dead pre-cat, leaking compressor, at least one bad O2 sensor at about 5 deg C , 90 % city driving I average 380 to 400 to a tank...

it really pisses me off how they change fuels during the winter, they mix in crap to help, but you get such lower mileage in all cars that it more then makes up the difference. You can see and smell it to, last year when it didn't snow I took the millenia out the week after thanksgiving, on fuel I had purchased probably in sept and added fuel stablizer 2, pretty different.

and damn it, I don't need to be losing mpg on my jeep