Hope I'm Doing The Right Thing!

Hello guys!

I am very angry at you all! By reading this forum i just bought me a 2000 Xedos 9 (milly)!!!

I am portuguese and i must say i had never heard of this car, let alone seen one. So, a Mazda dealer had this BIG car with lots of looks...i tottaly fell in love with it and altough the gas price here is about 1,45 Euros /liter i made a run for it and bought it for 8.000 Euros.

The car is only 33.000 Km and looks real nice. I count on you all to give me some help as i go along...if you don't, i'll sue your asses coz you made me discover this beauty!

P.S. If i don't make it here again...it's coz my wife killed me...im dropping an audi for this one! :don:

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it really is a lovely car..i fell in love with mine, even after wanting to sell for the second time, i've fallen in love again. haha...but watch out for those superchargers in the older ones.

Welcome to the forum! It warms my heart when you ditched an Audi for a Xedos, a very good choice :clap:

Keep track of oilchanges on engine and tranny, and it should serve you well with vastly lower maintenance costs than the Audi in the long run. Is it a 2,5 automatic? In that case we have exactly the same car! Amazingly low milage too. I'm at 156000 km's.

it is a car unmatched, but did you aqquire a standard 2.5, or the supercharged S

Bummer...i forgot that "detail": it is the 2.3 SC Automatic (more bhp and less fuel!)

And i really think it is the only Miller cycle here in Portugal (as far as Mazda tells me there are only 4 Xedos 9 and the other 3 are 2.5..! BTW...the car arrives tomorrow!

Welcome!!!

Did you get the tow package? Xedosman can give you tips and advice.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. No tow package on mine, in fact i have a tow package on my Audi A4 and never used it.

Best of : After selling my 2002 A4 for about $28.000 (18.000 Euros) and paying the Xedos i'll have about $16.000 dollars (10.000 Euros) left for GAS or a new car for my woman (so that she stops cursing me) :shutup:

I believe there are 2 or 3 Miller Cycles in Norway, that's a crowd compared to the portugese population :D

But who bought such a car and hardly drove it at all? :hmm: Truly amazing.

Yes it is amazing: the car was bought back in November 2000 by some company that went bakrupt a couple of monyhs later. That same company had a total of 15.000 Euros of debt to a Mazda dealer. Solution: Mazda took the Xedos back for the total debt . After that the car was only driven by the owner of that particular Mazda dealer on few ocasions (remember that they have lots of diesel service cars, hence the low mileage).

Also, a cousin of mine works at that dealer and was the person that originally sold the car. I had full access to service history on Mazda computers databases. That even worries me because since 2006 the car made only 1.000 miles.

High gasoline price, a market targeted for diesels and a very high depreciation of the Xedos, made the dealer drop the price from 20.000 to 8.000 Euros in just 2 years (this price is retail only...the car was not on sale to the general public). The best offer another mazda dealer made was 5.000 Euros, as the car is almost in new condition, the asking price stood on 8.000 Euros.

Funny thing is i called that cousin in order to buy an automatic little city car for my wife, thats when he told me that the only one he had was a "great BIG car" that my wife would not handle in a typicall portuguese city with almost none parking space. I became curious and by the time the international Automobile Salon ended a couple of weeks ago in Lisbon, i was told that a mazda engineer had asked for the car. I had to make a move...so i bought it, but not before inpecting the car and driving it. It took only a few miles to know that it had to be mine.

Hope to report back soon with some pics!

Your car belongs in a museum! Be sure to take good care of it. Amazing history.

Promise you'll NEVER sell it without letting me know, ok? ;)

Promised! But i will also promise i'm gonna ask you lots of stuff!

Sad thing: this one doesnt have the Bose sound, as it has the single din radio (some crappy - i'm guessing -kenwood detachable radio). Thinking of an Avic nav system as a major improvement. :whistling:

Welcome to the forum.

The Xedos 9 is a car that is a dream.

Be sure to keep up with the maintenace of this car. She will love you back.

The first time I drove mine, (I had the 2.5L model) I fell in love and begged my husband to let me have the car.

You got an amazing deal for your car. Cherish it. :clap:

Your car belongs in a museum! Be sure to take good care of it. Amazing history.

Promise you'll NEVER sell it without letting me know, ok? ;)

Promised! But i will also promise i'm gonna ask you lots of stuff!

Sad thing: this one doesnt have the Bose sound, as it has the single din radio (some crappy - i'm guessing -kenwood detachable radio). Thinking of an Avic nav system as a major improvement. :whistling:

:thumbup1: Feel free to ask, but there are others here knowing more than I do. In fact you're probably going to experience there is more knowledge and info found here than an average dealer can provide. I avoid dealers, every time I've visited one they've left a signature; scratch in the paintwork, dent in the roof, busted pulleys :mad:

Bose is probably a nice thing for a factory install, but I believe some ditch it if they want serious sound in the car. I'm not into carsound, have a fairly upmarket Blaupunkt which has been there since new, Sony Xplod(?) rear speakers swapped for a phone and a tiny 60W sub under the drivers seat, enough to cause slight tingling ;)

i demand information about this engineer, was he a member of the millenia team

Don't think so! He was (is) a portuguese engineer that was interested in buying the car for himself. Other than that i know nothing about the dude.

Welcome. First time i saw a 2.3 xedos. No sign of miller cycle engine in the exterior? As far as i can see mazda only changed the engine (and tranny) between 2.5 and 2.3 xedos, no visible changes? Hard to tell whether its a 2.3 or 2.5 from outside.

Is it green?

EU loves green then, my brothers is green, xedosman has green now you have green :)

Welcome. First time i saw a 2.3 xedos. No sign of miller cycle engine in the exterior? As far as i can see mazda only changed the engine (and tranny) between 2.5 and 2.3 xedos, no visible changes? Hard to tell whether its a 2.3 or 2.5 from outside.

Is it green?

EU loves green then, my brothers is green, xedosman has green now you have green :)

Yes, it is green ( a light green...will try to get the code from...mmmmmmmm...really dunno!...Helppppp).

And yes...i've seen a picture of a portuguese 2.5 Xedos 9 and from the outside you can't tell the difference. But under the hood it's a whole new world. Oh yea..the Super charger makes a wonderful noise!

@Xedosman: gonna try and make a worthy photo session as soon as i have the car detailed as deserved.

Im loving it. My audi has been reprogramed and pulls 170 bhp and 360 NM of torque, mighty power on low revs. Never tought the Xedos would have such a kick down power!!! I'm still getting used to the Auto tranny...but loving the car more....more....andddddddd moreeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :clap::clap:

Now Dallas will be mad! Retract mirrors on this Xedos too :D

Correct Saint, not possible to see the difference outside. Typical Mazda in Europe really. When it comes to colors here, we have to take what we get. Needless to explain why.

Isn't it nice to observe how the A4 looks like a MPV beside the Xedos...