Hope I'm Doing The Right Thing!

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious car tests includes noise levels. And the Xedos brochure I have has noise lever curves measured three places in the interior. Front window, front center and rear. Front center (which is lowest) doing 180 km/h equals noise in a V70 doing 100km/h, somewhere in the region of 72 dBA from the back of my head. I've never cruised at 180, but can confirm the noise at 160 (4000rpm in the 2,5) is VERY pleasant, a fly me to the moon-experience indeed. The Xedos is a grand cruiser. The suspension seems to work at its best in that speed too. But of course, shame on the Volvo.

My favourite (swedish) magazine stated the Xedos was one of the most silent cars they had tested, all cathegories, in 1994. This was confirmed when they tested the facelift model in 2001; very silent even at VERY high speeds, beyond 180 km/h, best in test. They also tested the new gen BMW 523 and Merc 230E in 1996; the Xedos beats them both with 2-3 dBA doing 100 km/h. I should say this confirms it is silent indeed. Though I find the road noise on bad, studbattered domestic tarmac too high myself. But on new or foreign tarmac it's certainly hard to beat.

when buying new tires I do not mind road noise, infact 99% of the time I go for something with more, I like it, and I don't see the problem, I like to know my tires are on the ground, I only trust brakes that dust a decent amount to alot and can still have a conversion inside any cabin if I want

when buying new tires I do not mind road noise, infact 99% of the time I go for something with more, I like it, and I don't see the problem, I like to know my tires are on the ground, I only trust brakes that dust a decent amount to alot and can still have a conversion inside any cabin if I want

Conversion???? To Judaism? Homosexual? What? And if you meant CONVERSATION.... then OK but with whom? The Voices?

Thanks Xedosman.

Lat: dunno what else coulf taht connector be used for. It fits the middle (empty) button...it really does. Besides, it comes tapped together with the seat warmer connectors, so...i guess it is for the solar roof. Helas, i'm still missing the solar panel and the fans, gotta check if there's any connection in the trunk. Anyway,

ON NAVIGATION:

Decided the avic d3 is somewhat too much for what i use (always had navigation on my Audi,factory fitted rns-d with mp3 from xcarlink and used it just now and then). I think i'd be better off with a PND unit like the new navigon 8110. I can have that for under 400 Euros. Gotta work my way out of this choices coz if i screw that trim some more ,now it's the right time!

Damn swedes! I can't believe this; an answering machine telling me they've closed up for summer vacation till the 28th of july :glare:

Believe me, they're going to get a 1st hand rating of their customer service, this sucks. I'm going to claim an additional discount as compensation :shifty:

As for satnav, I'm pleased with the solution in my Nokia N82. Nothing too special, but good enough for me, and I don't need to worry about theft.

Rather the switch? ;)

Browsing the swedish parts site today, I found a 94 Xedos 9 rear steering rack as they characterized it :shifty:

I think there is another ECU involved, but cannot find anything with that type of info... ;)

I wonder how Lat will react when he reads this; I'm concidering to drive down there to collect this piece. Nothing less. As far as ECU, I don't know. I know there is a steering coloumn sensor, which tells the 4WS ECU what the driver is up to. And there must be a speed sensor, since it works in different direction according to speed.

Trout, can you find something on this? I demand you step down from your throne this instant, minister ;)

Fourwheelsteeralus is calling you!

Yes. There is a seprate 4WS control unit and relay that live in the trunk. The cruise control along with TCS and to a certain extent ABS do know what the steering angle is, so it already has a steering angle sensor. vheicle speed is already derived from the ABS data.

Want to prove it knows where you're steering? Find a curve that you can take tightly at a reasonable high speed, and set cruise control to about 30. As you turn the wheel it tries to speed up to compensate but if it goes more than about 1 half revolution around it will turn off the cruise.