Hope I'm Doing The Right Thing!

4WS (Four Wheel Steering)

Used from 1987-1997 on the majority of MX-6s around the world, this was the MX-6s centerpiece.

It was available on both generations, although the North American market only received it for the 1989 model year. South African MX-6s never received 4WS.

According to Mazda, the system provided:

* Superior cornering stability

* Improved steering responsiveness and precision

* High-speed straightline stability

* Notable improvement in rapid lane-changing maneuvers

* Smaller turning radius and tight-space maneuverability at low vehicle speed range

The system electronically controlled a rear rack that was behind the rear wheels. At low speeds (of up to 35 km/h), the rear wheels would move in the opposite direction to the front wheels, aiding parking and U-turns by lowering the turning circle. Above these speeds, the rear wheels would move in the same direction as the fronts, meaning control during high speed manoeuvres such as lane changes or cornering was improved. Either way, the turning angle of the rear wheels was slight at just five degrees, a measurement Mazda determined to be optimally effective and natural to human sensitivity.

Note:

* When the engine is turned off, the rear wheels would straighten up. They would change back to the angle of the front wheels when the engine is restarted. This is caused by the 4WS control unit powering down, and the failsafe system overriding the rear rack.

* If the system ever faults, as a failsafe the rear wheels would lock straight to allow the vehicle normal 2WS functionality.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember hearing that, but don't think it made it to the states, either way I'm sure you need the control module for the eunos800

I don't think a new ECU would be needed, the relay would simply be making adjustments based on speed, braking, and direction, something the ecu would already supply

the biggest part is actually the power steering line which mts has found, the hardware is difficult, but running another PS line would have been risky without knowing exactly what you need where.

Look at the photos i posted, the middle button is for solar system.

When I drove my brothers xedos, it let more road noise than mine, although it is in a better shape (near perfect) than mine. Only thing might be tires, pzero nero compared to my yoko avids. My tires are very quiet, only noise i can hear is intermittent wind noise.

Cuto, buy a trim from US, i am sure you can easily find s.one parting out his milly. Actually there is one on .org now. Just make sure which years you should look.

I am so surprised that they put power tilt steering to milly and manual telescoping to xedos. Prolly the only point that milly beats xedos.

The Prelude 4WS system was very primitive compared to the one Mazda developed; featuring a fully mechanical system which operates the same way in all speeds. Contrasteering (opposite direction) above a certain steering angle, same direction up to this limit. Reportedly it worked nice though.

The 1988 626 hatchback was the only car ever sold in Norway with 4WS, possibly also 1989. It had the same system as the Xedos- every once in a while there is one for sale but they're usually in bad shape. It was very expensive; price was the about the same as the 626 V6 launched in 1992. The 4WS model featured a 2litre 148 hp VRIS 16V four, reportedly quite fast with its 7k redline.

As far as steering coloumns are concerned, I would never trade my telescopic coloumn for the nontelescopic phatass tilt option :P

When I drove my brothers xedos, it let more road noise than mine, although it is in a better shape (near perfect) than mine. Only thing might be tires, pzero nero compared to my yoko avids. My tires are very quiet, only noise i can hear is intermittent wind noise.

Cuto, buy a trim from US, i am sure you can easily find s.one parting out his milly. Actually there is one on .org now. Just make sure which years you should look.

I am so surprised that they put power tilt steering to milly and manual telescoping to xedos. Prolly the only point that milly beats xedos.

PZeros are just about the noisiest tire I have ever had on a car.... and they get worse as they wear.

PZeros are just about the moisiest tire I have ever had on a car.... and they get worse as they wear.

All tires get noisier as they wear, the thread pattern plays a significant role suppressing noise and when there is no thread pattern...

Thanks for the tip Saint:

Somehow i can't register on .org, keeps asking me for the generated code and no matter how i type it it gives me an error.

Will send an email to some guys there parting their millys just to check.

btw: searching for some infos on LG LAN-9700R Navsystem (which is a lot chepaer here than in any other european country, including ebay), i came across with this site www.safemanuals.com . It has all kinds of manuals including automotive! Searching for Xedos 9 it returned nothing, but it lets you email the site and eventually if the manual is added u'll get it. Dunno if it's repost, if so im sorry...but im in a hurry!

Hey cuto, can you check which speed is the best for fuel consumption on a straight road? For 2.5 it is 100-110km/h i believe..

Till now my best consumption was on highway (with some climbs) : between 80-120 Km - 120 only for passing- 7,4 L/100 . Mind you: i was not using the cruise control as i've just experienced that a very light foot gets more milleage than the CC. I had to kickdown in the last mile when i was just arriving home and had to give some dust to a BMW, on that mile AVG consumption rose to 7,6. By my experience with the board computer: in a straight the best consumptions are achieved at 80 km/h ( fast enough to be on 4th gear and RPM's around 2.000).

Hey cuto can you find the exact speed that gives best instant fuel consumption? It should be very easy with the trip computer.

PZeros are just about the noisiest tire I have ever had on a car.... and they get worse as they wear.

He sold (or returned) them. Now he has the yokos :)

although I can't be sure, if the PS line was run back there atleast on north american S's then I would imagine there are other bits and pieces spread throughout the car tp "prep" it for the final delivery country and what they choose

sensors I would imagine are there, actual relays and control units probably not

Hey cuto can you find the exact speed that gives best instant fuel consumption? It should be very easy with the trip computer.

The lowest speed on 4th gear in a straight. ZERO fuel consumption is achieved when releasing the throttle at any speed if the car isnt engine braking.

At 50 KM/H in a straight i can get as low as 2 to 3 L/100. Best way is to keep a steady right foot and not accelerate on low climbs if the speed drops a bit... Of course, i find it extremelly difficult to drive slow under 120/130 km/h on highways (only do it when im with other people on board). If i'm alone i tend to hit 190 km/h quite easy. To be honest i still dunno how fast the car can go: it reaches 200 km/h too fast for me to discover on short trips - only got to 200 km/h once on a kickdown, was very surprised to feel the 4th gear engage when i was at that speed! The rev pointer had a long way to go yet on 4th gear :>