The Milly Is Totaled...

SteveSter

I think that the best option the three is the S with the new s/c. That is the one of the biggest and most expensive things to replace, and you wouldn't have to worry about it. And the vacuum system really isn't hard to figure out. Either he has a line in the wrong spot from the swap or one of the abv solenoids is bad (which would support the theory that it is the cause of bad superchargers). But the vacuum lines only take a few hours to work on and should cost you next to nothing, and the solenoids can be tested with a multimeter and are only about $60 or so at mazda.

If that option doesn't work out, a 2.5 would also be a good choice for you since you have a double of every part which could save a lot of money if you ever have a problem. I don't think you should buy an S that could have a questionable s/c, you had a lot of expensive repairs with your other millenia and you don't want to start off with a $2000 problem. So if the millenia with the new s/c doesn't happen I think another 2.5 would be a good idea.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should go with an all black SE or either 2.5 Black like mine. I would get grey leather tho, I like grey better with black than Tan, but I do like my tan leather interior. Grey just is easier on the eyes. I really like the White and Tan S with the rims, but the 2001-2002 ride better. My sister has a 2000 2.5L and hers doesn't drive as good as mine does. I'm just keeping it real.

Yea but what would cause a S/C to go out before even 58K??? Maybe it wasnt taken care of properly? And it already has TCS issues, which worst case I would need to check the vacuum hose routing and replace an ABV solenoid. Right?

The 02 2.5 would be the most practical choise though.

The 00 Red ME has my favorite colors fot the exterior and interior. The only thing that would worry me is the S/C but I will check for smoke in the exhaust when I drive it.

Yea but what would cause a S/C to go out before even 58K??? Maybe it wasnt taken care of properly? And it already has TCS issues, which worst case I would need to check the vacuum hose routing and replace an ABV solenoid. Right?

The 02 2.5 would be the most practical choise though.

The 00 Red ME has my favorite colors fot the exterior and interior. The only thing that would worry me is the S/C but I will check for smoke in the exhaust when I drive it.

There could be a couple of things to make it go bad. There has been talk of if an abv solenoid starts to go bad it could cause the supercharger to go too. That would also explain the tcs light. For $60 you would be good again. Another thing that it could be is if the owner knew that the s/c was a problem and had some oil consumption it could have been replaced under warranty before it ran out. If you end up with that one, you want to meausure the resistance on both abv solenoids as soon as you can and make sure they are low. If either one is high, replace it right away. If they are fine, you just need to take an afternoon and pull off the CAC plumbing and check the lines. You could replace some tees while your there, and you wouldn't have to worry about vacuum issues for a long time. I do think that you would have the car running perfectly for under $60 or $70. Then you could part out the other millenia and make some money.

Still the 2.5 would be a very practical choice too. You would not have to buy any new parts if you have a problem so you would save a lot of money if anything goes wrong, the only downside is you would have to store a lot of stuff that you might or might not need.

For some odd reason I have a feeling this guy is lying about putting a new S/C in. Doesnt a new S/C cost about $2300 plus the amount he bought the car for and hes thinking about selling it to me for $3800??? Doesnt add up. Maybe he bought it from Ebay? When I started the car it had a small, very small amount of smoke coming out from the exhaust for about 5 seconds. It was very humid out though. Is that a no-no or could it just be normal and im being paranoid??

Thanks for the help BTW guys, I really would like an S and it does seem like a possibility but I cant have it giving me expensive problems or im shit out of luck which is why im leaning over to buy myself another 2.5 So hopefully this goes well.

The smoke was white. And yea 58K shouldnt give me any problems which is a selling point on the car, and I like the rims. But still fishy to me. What do you think about the smoke.

What was the temp? You can ask to look inside the s/c. Another problem is if they changed the s/c on time or the cats were damaged as well..

5 seconds of smoke or steam? If it is humid the MCE will blow some steam on start. Plugged cats will throw codes on the CEL. Plus it smells sulfuric from the tail pipe. The smoke of a failing S/C is very acrid smelling and thick, does not dissipate fast. Steam goes away, does not linger in the air.

Take it for a drive, let the engine get hot, and then idle for 10-15 minutes and try to pull away with moderate gas pedal. If it bogs down and coughs a heap of smoke... S/C is DONE. Mine has always steamed on start on cool or humid days, you can also take the dynamic cover off and the remove the inspection cover for the S/C and see if there are pools of oil around the lobes of the S/C.

I would be surprised if the cats were bad, at 58k the s/c couldn't have been so bad at that point to ruin them. If you are able to test drive the car without the guy with you then just park it somewhere, take of the miller cycle cover and open the door to see what the lobes look like. If he won't let you take anything apart, you could do what Saint said and see if it has been painted. I don't think you would be making a mistake to buy it, and I am sure that the tcs issue would be a fairly easy fix, and if they can't figure it out themselves you could get a good deal because of it.

Not easily replaced if they are LEDs. Joining the spoiler club, eh?? Be prepared to eat your words with salt and ashes :). My spoiler was replaced because the last owner was a jackass, and patching a hole the right way through double wall sheet metal is damn near impossible. Big props to BHR for finding my spoiler BTW.

Well then its settled, if he accepts my offer of $3800 out the door, I will take it. Hes also going to give me 3 month warranty on it so not too bad.

Now, I noticed some of the bulbs on the spoiler were out, how are those replaced?

Spoiler? Then consider the cost of removing and repainting :D

Bargain for that TCS light. CEL should be on right? If you can, read the code, prolly an easy fix for us, but not for them..

Removing and repainting a decklid with the wrong spoiler = a lot of labor.

Removing a 626 spoiler and replacing with a Millenia spoiler + color match = 300 TOTAL.

More being frugal than being frivolous.

Slight blue smoke at start up = ok in my book. The smell tells the tale. A normal condition in Mazdas where external temps can vary, and oil can seep past seals that expand and contract.

White smoke at start up is bad issues, no matter the condition of the S/C. Burning coolant is a deeper issue.